Home Business Agency warns 12 PSV saccos over exorbitant fares

Agency warns 12 PSV saccos over exorbitant fares

by kenya-tribune
11 views


Counties

Agency warns 12 PSV saccos over exorbitant fares

NTSA has given matatu saccos in Bomet, Narok and Kericho counties one week to regularise fares or have their licences withdrawn. PHOTO | DIANA NGILA 

Twelve matatu Saccos operating in the South Rift region risk losing their licences over high fares which have kicked up a storm in the region.

The National Transport Safety Authority (NTSA) has given the matatus operating in Bomet, Narok and Kericho counties one week to regularise their fares or have their licences withdrawn.

Isaac Silali, NTSA deputy regional manager in charge of the South Rift, and Bomet Deputy County Commissioner Henry Metto co-chaired a meeting between the matatu operators and representatives of commuters in which the Saccos were accused of hiking fares by over 200 per cent.

“We have formed a committee of 15 members comprising of various stakeholders to address the issue and ensure the fares are reduced. The team is expected to table the report on Tuesday next week,” said Mr Silali.

He said it was the first time a row over fares in the region was being reported to the agency since the crackdown on defective public service vehicles was effected in November last year.

“It has been made very clear by the various stakeholders that the fares being charged on local roads by public service vehicle operators are unreasonably high and exploitative, they must be brought down as a matter of priority,” said Mr Metto.

Elkana Mutai, Bomet County Transport and Safety Committee chairman, said the issue should be addressed in a manner that would not negatively impact on matatu operators.

“It is important to understand that the PSV operators are in business and have overhead costs to cover.

“We must be careful so as not to put the operators out of business,” said Mr Mutai.

NTSA waded into the row following complaints from 15 members of the public acting on behalf of commuters alleging that the fares were 200 per cent higher than previous ones.



Source link

You may also like