Connect with us

Entertainment

Anerlisa Muigai’s mum Keroche CEO Tabitha Karanja in more court drama

Published

on

Loading...
Tabitha Karanja

Keroche CEO Tabitha Karanja gets court reprieve as Nanyuki court strikes out her name from list of accused.

Embattled Keroche Breweries Chief Executive Officer Tabitha Karanja yesterday got a reprieve after a Nanyuki court struck off her name from a charge sheet in which her company and a distributor had been accused of infringement of beer packaging by a rival firm.

In her ruling yesterday, Nanyuki Principal Magistrate Njeri Thuku granted an application made last week by special prosecutor John Maina to have the charge sheet amended and expunge her name as the second accused person.

“Having considered the application by the prosecution, I hereby grant the request to strike out accused two in this matter and charge accused one and three afresh,” the magistrate said.

Loading...

‘Barack Jacuzzi’s pull out game is sh*t!’ Kairetu shouts

Mrs. Karanja had initially been charged alongside her company and a Nanyuki based beer distributor Grace Wanjiru found with Viena Ice pre-packed beer in sealed bottles of 500 milliliters on September 30, 2015, in Nanyuki town, having East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL) logo embossed on the bottles that were likely to mislead consumers to believe EABL is the manufacturer of the beer.

They also faced a second charge of being found in possession of Summit lager beer pre-packed in bottles containing EABL markings embossed on it on the same day.

The prosecution had initially sought to charge Keroche Breweries as an entity, Mrs. Karanja as a CEO of the company alongside Ms. Grace Wanjiru who is Keroche’s beer distributor in Nanyuki town.

Maina who is prosecuting the case on behalf of Weights and Measures Department consequently substituted the old charge sheet with a fresh one with the amendments where Keroche Breweries Limited and Grace Wanjiru were charged afresh for the offenses.

Lawyer Ibrahim Sanko appearing for Keroche Breweries told the court that he did not object to the amending of the charge sheet to strike out the name of Mrs. Karanja from it adding that it would have been in bad taste to charge her as a company CEO and also, charge the company at the same time.

BY KNA.

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Baringo: 2 dead, 15 hospitalised after eating githeri ▷ Kenya News

Published

on

Loading...

– Seventeen people hired at a farm in Iltepes were given a githeri meal after work

– They started experiencing stomach discomforts and were rushed to a county hospital

– Two have since passed on but 15 are in critical condition and are receiving medication

– Samples of the food have been taken to the government chemist for analysis

At least two people died on Friday, December 13, in Baringo following a suspected case of food poisoning.

TUKO.co.ke has learnt that the duo was part of 15 other people who were working at a farm in Marigat sub county and were served with a githeri meal after work.

READ ALSO: NYS clerk earning KSh 26k accumulated KSh 500 million in 4 years – Asset recovery agency

Baringo: 2 dead, 15 hospitalised after eating githeri

Governor Stanley Kiptis visiting victims of the suspected food poisoning in hospital. Photo: Baringo Capital News.
Source: Facebook

READ ALSO: Bungoma governor Wangamati authorises drinking of busaa during festive season

Confirming the incident, Baringo County Commissioner Henry Wafula said the 15 survivors are hospitalised at Baringo Referal Hospital where they are fighting for their lives.

“The young men were working on a farm at the Marigat scheme. The owner of the farm is known as Eric Omondi.

After they finished their work, he gave them some food but it seems that the meal was not good,” said Wafula.

READ ALSO: Wimbo wa King Kaka wazua joto kali

Baringo: 2 dead, 15 hospitalised after eating githeri

Samples of the food have been taken to the government chemist for analysis. Photo: Eng John Macharia.
Source: Facebook

Loading...

READ ALSO: Kenyans angered by Meru landlady who assaulted male tenant in viral video

Wafula said that samples of the food have been taken to the government chemist with the aim of establishing its contents.

According to Baringo Health Executive Mary Panga, some of the victims are in critical condition with most of them presenting stomach complications.

“For now we are just managing the condition according to the symptoms they are presenting. We will be able to know what we are dealing with after we get results from the chemist,” said Panga.

Bodies of the deceased are being preserved at the Kabarnet County Referral Hospital Mortuary.

Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through news@tuko.co.ke or WhatsApp: 0732482690. Contact Tuko.co.ke instantly.

My mother in-law stole my child | Tuko TV.

Subscribe to watch new videos

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Migingo Riches Threatening Kenya and Uganda Relations

Published

on

Loading...

Some 0.49-acres of rock is what can best describe the outcrop that is Migingo Island whose ownership is disputed by the Kenyan and Ugandan governments.

The rock is a
beehive of activity where fishermen and other business people mint millions
through diverse trades carried out between the parties.

There are
fishermen on the island who are fishermen, boat repairers and women who operate
hotels as well as those who are fishmongers. There are also ladies of the night
who make a living from peddling flesh.

The Migingo Island

But what is
it about the island that keeps the small community so engrossed that the
limited space is not a hindrance to their doing of business?

As of the
2009 census, the population of the island was 131 but this number could have
gone up several-fold.

When Uganda’s
President Yoweri Museveni visited Kenya in April this year, Migingo Island was
part of the agenda to be discussed between him and his Kenyan host, Uhuru
Kenyatta.

During this
meeting, Kenya’s Foreign Affairs Cabinet Secretary Monicah Juma assured that an
amicable solution had been reached. The solution was that fishermen from both countries
would share the island and continue with their trade.

Interestingly,
the CS stressed the island belongs to Kenya adding that Ugandan policemen would
be withdrawn from the island and the waters around it to reassure the
fishermen.

The Migingo Scuffles

It all started
in October, 2008 when 15 Kenyan
fishermen were arrested by Ugandan police and taken to the Bugiri District of
Uganda. The arrests came even as the Kenyan government formed an
inter-ministerial team to address the ownership conflict.

At the time,
the Ugandans took away five engine boats.

Then in April 2012, Nine Kenyan fishermen were
arrested and their three boats and fishing gear confiscated by Ugandan police
on Migingo Island. Uganda called for the removal of a Kenyan assistant chief
posted to the Island a month earlier.

The dispute
escalated in July 2013 when a fight
broke out between the Kenya and Uganda security forces.

Three Kenyan
administration police officers sustained injuries in the weekend scuffle which
also involved fishermen.

Reports indicated
that the fight erupted after the Ugandan officers were blocked from repairing their
boat at the nearby Nyandiwa mainland beach on the Kenyan side. They went back
to Migingo and declared Kenyan security personnel persona non grata prompting
the fight.

In March, 2016, Kenyan assistant chief and
Administration Police officers at the Island were roughed up with the
administrator being detained by the Uganda Police.

Two Independent
Electoral and Boundary Commission (IEBC) clerks who were registering voters at
the island were roughed up in the same month forcing the IEBC to temporarily
halt the exercise.

Loading...

And then in November 2017, 17 Kenyan fishermen in
six boats were arrested by Ugandan authorities near the Migingo Island over
unclear reasons.

The Ugandan
security forces have been accused of severally mistreating Kenyan fishermen
with Busia Governor Sospeter Ojaamong and his Migori counterpart Okoth Obado complaining
against this.

While the
government seems to have resigned to fate, the question that lingers is if Migingo
belongs to Kenya, why then should it be administered by Kenya and Uganda?

Despite covering
less than half a football pitch, Migingo Island is a whole economy of and by
itself hosting several tiny tin structures which act as a brothel, lodges, bars,
an open-air casino and a tiny docking port.

The reason it is attractive to so many people seeking a livelihood from the fishing is that fish catches have hugely declined over the years due to the water hyacinth menace and overfishing.

Nile perch is
still plentiful in the deep waters around Migingo making the rock island an invaluable
fishing hub.

Due to growing demand, Nile perch prices having risen by more than 50% in the last five years making it an even more lucrative business for those who can withstand the pressures of life on the island.

Not over yet

The drama
characterising the dispute is not over yet with at least 30 Kenyan fishermen detained
in Uganda in July this year on claims that they were arrested fishing in Lake
Victoria.

Arrested by
the Ugandan Revenue Authority (URA), the fishermen were detained at Hama Island
despite there being no clarity over their being taken to the island.

The Beach
Management Unit (BMU) officials in Homa Bay County said the fishermen could have
illegally crossed the boundary between Kenya and Uganda.

Those arrested
had their nets and 10 fishing boats confiscated by URA officials.

Suba North MP
Millie Odhiambo and her Suba South counterpart John Mbadi assured the fishermen
that their problems would be solved once the government purchased a patrol boat
for use by Kenyan police to protect fishermen from harassment by the Ugandans.

According to Mbadi,
parliament has approved the purchase of the boat which Odhiambo added would be
operational once launched by Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i.

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

S.Africa’s businesses marooned by rolling blackouts [ARTICLE]

Published

on

Loading...

“We have to close the store immediately because people can steal… the card machines also don’t work without electricity,” a 23 year-old clothing retail worker told AFP.

Since 2008, state utility Eskom has sporadically implemented rolling blackouts — rationing up to 4,000 megawatts at a time — to help prevent a collapse of the electricity grid, a process known as “load shedding”.

But this week, the crisis suddenly worsened as Eskom rationed 6,000 megawatts from the national power grid, prompting the worst cuts in the country so far.

The power outages have caused many businesses to lose out on hours of sales during the peak festive season, threatening an already fragile economy.

“Most of them have to close shop as they can’t afford alternative solutions such as generators and renewable energy such as solar systems,” the CEO of the Black Business Council, Kganki Matabane, told AFP.

Across town about 60 kilometres (40 miles) south of Johannesburg in the crucial industrial manufacturing hub known as the Vaal Triangle, industrialists reel from the unstable supply of power.

“The big industries that start up furnaces lose an obscene amount of money when there are blackouts,” said Jaco Verwey, vice-chairman of the Golden Triangle Chamber of Commerce.

“Firstly they lose money on downtime. Secondly they lose money on restarting again because they need more electricity to restart their furnaces.”

The organisation boasts around 450 member businesses, 33 of which pay a combined electricity bill of 100 million rands ($6.8 million) a month.

Businesses, big and small, are plunged daily into darkness for nearly five hours at a time, sometimes even multiple times a day.

Electrifying losses

Large underground mines, among the largest contributors to GDP, suspended some shifts this week to avoid trapping miners in the belly of the earth when the electricity cuts out.

AngloAmerican spokesman Sibusiso Tshabalala told AFP that its “South African operations have been impacted by Eskom load shedding”.

“While we have response plans … this is not a sustainable solution as it is costly to run generators,” he said, adding that sustained power outages resulted in reduced revenues and production.

Hundreds of tourists, hoping to catch the aerial cableway at the top of Table Mountain, were left stranded for nearly three hours this week after load shedding escalated to stage 6.

Even telecommunications networks were forced to beef up on backup power to maintain customers’ connectivity during load shedding.

African giant MTN reportedly spends up to 100 million rand on battery generators for every three days of electricity blackouts.

Loading...

But for some, like retailer Shoprite, the outages have resulted a spike in sales of alternative energy and lighting products such as candles, paraffin, gas bottles, emergency lights and kettle braais.

“South Africans often use load shedding as an opportunity to cook on the braai (barbeque),” the Shoprite group told AFP.

Eskom blames its old and poorly maintained coal-fired power stations which struggle to keep up with the electricity demands of Africa’s most industrialised economy.

The debt-laden utility generates around 95 percent of the country’s electricity.

South Africans were so livid about the power outages that President Cyril Ramaphosa cut short an official visit to Egypt to come back and meet with Eskom executives.

Upon his election in May, Ramaphosa vowed to turn around all state entities but Eskom has proved to be “the villain that leaps out of the bath in a rage when you thought that he was dead,” as author and analyst Howard Feldman describes it.

Ramaphosa critics, as well as his supporters, say he will need to improve the economy if he wants a second term in power.

‘Nail in the coffin’

Many say the current crisis is a result of years of mismanagement and corruption during the decade of Jacob Zuma’s presidency.

Despite multiple bailouts, including the latest $4 billion lifeline by parliament, Eskom said it expects overall debt to rise to the equivalent of $30.8 billion in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2020, up from $30 billion a year earlier.

Eskom forecasts a net loss of 20 billion rand for the year.

Calling it “too big to fail”, Ramaphosa unveiled plans to improve the utility’s performance by breaking it up into three units, saying that the current system was “unreliable” and “unpredictable”.

Power insecurity has weighed on the sluggish South African economy, already dogged by high and rising debt, low growth and record-high unemployment of 29 percent over the last decade.

“Job creators are retrenching staff and/or going out of business,” warned the CEO of the National Small Business Chamber, Mike Anderson.

Analysts at wealth asset management company Anchor Capital said the level of load shedding has heightened concerns that the economy could slip into another recession.

Indigo Ellis, an analyst at Verisk Maplecroft echoed this sentiment, saying “power cuts are (the) nail in the coffin for economic growth”.

Growth contracted further by 0.6 percent in the third quarter of 2019, after falling 3.2 percent in the first quarter.

mgu/jh

Loading...
Continue Reading

Trending