Connect with us

Sports

Antoine Griezmann will move to Barcelona, Atletico Madrid CEO Gil Marin confirms ▷ Kenya News

Published

on

Loading...

– Atleti CEO Gil Marin made this known claiming that the Frenchman will leave the club

– Griezmann has been linked with a move to Barcelona ever since he lifted the 2018 World Cup with France

France international Antoine Griezmann is almost now certain to complete a massive move to current Spanish champions Barcelona next season.

This comes after Atletico Madrid CEO, Miguel Ángel Gil Marín, confirmed that the 28-year-old striker will be joining the Catalan giants.

READ ALSO: Afcon 2019: Kenya will not be an easy team – Algeria’s Sofiane Feghouli admits

This comes after Atletico Madrid CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín confirmed that the 28-year-old striker will be joining the Catalan giants.
Source: UGC

READ ALSO: Daniel James completes move to Premier League side Manchester United

Griezmann has been a long term target for Barcelona, and news of his intention to join the La Liga champions began just he won the 2018 World Cup with France.

The Les Blues star’s imminent move to Barcelona has now been confirmed by Gil Marin who believes Griezmann will be at the Nou Camp next season.

READ ALSO: Wakili ambaye amekuwa akiikokota kesi dhidi ya Gavana Sonko atakiwa kumlipa KSh 5k

“I know exactly where he’s going to play. I’ve known since march. In Barcelona,

PAY ATTENTION: Install Pitch Football app for FREE to easily access stats, news and live updates

“There are players who feel they are greater than the squad, we have to form a group of men,” hinting at Griezmann wanting out,” he told Radio Estadio.

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group ‘TUKO Michezo’

Loading...

Earlier, TUKO.co.ke had reported how the French forward hinted he could move to the English topflight by admitting he could quit Spain altogether this summer.

According to reports, the Atletico Madrid striker has tabled a transfer request at the end of last campaign and the La Liga side confirmed the Frenchman will be sold this summer.

Last season, Barcelona were keen on sealing a deal for the France international, but the Catalans’ dwellers have moved on, preferring to invest on the signing quality midfielders and defenders

Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through news@tuko.co.ke or WhatsApp: 0732482690 and Telegram: Tuko news.

VOX POP: Come lets bury our survivors | Tuko TV

Source: Tuko

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Athletes reflect on super congested 2022 international season

Published

on

Loading...
AYUMBA AYODI

By AYUMBA AYODI
More by this Author

Will it be possible to double or not?

That is the question that has seen both coaches and athletes going into spin with the World Athletics Championships and Commonwealth Games falling in the same period in 2022.

This state of affairs could now force Athletics Kenya to name separate teams in most events for the two world competitions.

On Wednesday, World Athletics announced that the World Championships that had been postponed from this year due to the novel coronavirus pandemic will now be staged from July 15 to 24 in Oregon, United States.

The 22nd Commonwealth Games will take place from July 27 to August 7 in Birmingham, England.

World Athletics postponed the World Championships that were to originally take place in July next year in Oregon after the International Olympic Committee rescheduled the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games from July 24-August 9 to July 23-August 8, 2021.

Advertisement

Renowned athletics coach Bernard Ouma and elite athletes, World and Commonwealth 5,000m champion Hellen Obiri, 2015 World javelin champion Julius Yego and 2016 Rio Olympic 1,500m champion Faith Chepng’etich expressed different opinion after the changes.

Loading...

Ouma said it will be difficult for athletes especially in middle and long distances races to double especially with fatigue creeping while Yego, the 2014 Commonwealth javelin champion, noted that top elite athlete are likely to choose the World Championships over the Commonwealth Games.

Chepng’etich, who won the World 1,500m title in 2017 London before settling for silver in 2019 Doha, said that it will difficult for someone to double with health and form key factors.

Obiri, the 2016 Rio Olympics 5,000m silver medallist, who retained her World title in Doha last year also said it would be difficult for someone to double considering there was also the Diamond League and World Continental Tour events.

“Commonwealth Games will take two weeks hence it will take an excellent athlete to double. Actually, doubling will not be the best option since. It could be a costly gamble,” said Ouma.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Mass exodus looms at Gor Mahia

Published

on

Loading...
CECIL ODONGO

By CECIL ODONGO
More by this Author

Gor Mahia are on the verge of losing four key senior players.

Nation Sport has established that the four are no longer interested in playing for Gor Mahia and intent to leave the club at the end of this season.

The four, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of being victimised while still under contract and with the season yet to end, said their decision would not change even if Gor Mahia secured a major shirt sponsor.

The players said they were fed up with Gor Mahia repeatedly failing to meet its financial obligation to the squad members and it was better for them to look for greener pastures.

“It has been tough at Gor Mahia since the sponsorship of SportPesa ended. I can’t blame the club management for the current financial woes but as a player, I have dependents whom I have to look after. I have bills to pay,” said the players.

They also blamed Gor Mahia officials for “abandoning the club and leaving all the management burden to the chairman Ambrose Rachier” who has been struggling to ensure they are paid, however little money it is.

Advertisement

“Personally, if all goes well I will leave but am indebted to the chairman who has been there for us during hard times. I am not afraid to say that other officials have abandoned us in time of need. Whenever there is an issue, we are always told to talk to the chairman who sometimes gets to us personally and assists. We are grateful for that,” said one of the players.

They called on the government to chip in and financially assist community-based clubs like Gor and AFC Leopards so that they can return back to their glory days.

Loading...

They wondered how money from the Sport Fund was now being channelled to other functions yet sportspeople were going hungry and begging for food.

The Kenyan Premier League is currently suspended following a government ban on public gatherings in a bid to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic that has already caused the death of seven people in the country.

With no action, no source of income and a season in limbo, many KPL clubs remain hard pressed to pay their contracted players.

Fifa on Tuesday proposed that contracts of players be extended until such time that the season does actually end.

Fifa, in the same communication, encouraged clubs and players to work together to find agreements and solutions during the period when football is suspended.

Nation Sport understands that Tanzanian giants Azam and Young Africans are keen on the services of three of the four players who want out.

The other player said he has been in negotiating with Tunisian giants Esperance.

Yanga SC and Simba have lately been raiding K’Ogalo’s camp for fresh talent.

Former K’Ogalo stars Francis Kahata and Meddie Kagera signed for Simba in 2019 and 2018 respectively while Ivorian striker Yikpe Ghislain, who played for less than a season at K’Ogalo, left for Yanga amid financial tribulation at the 18-time Kenyan Premier League champions last December.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Okeyo awaits Germany return for some unfinished league business

Published

on

Loading...
AGNES MAKHANDIA

By AGNES MAKHANDIA
More by this Author

Kenya international midfielder Willis Okeyo can only wait and see if he will be able to complete his tour abroad.

Okeyo was scheduled to link up with his German club Verein Fur Bewegungsspiele Stuttgart this month for the second leg of the Herren Oberliga League.

In fact, Okeyo was to fly out of Nairobi on Saturday ahead of the season’s second stanza that was scheduled to bully off next weekend but that can now obviously not happen because of the lockdown in most parts of the world due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Almost the entire sporting calendar, internationally, continentally and nationally has been decimated as measures are taken by various governments to try and contain the spread of Covid-19.

Germany had by Thursday recorded 113,296 cases of the disease with 2,280 deaths while Kenya’s figures stood at 184 with seven deaths.

The first leg ended in July. Stuttgart are lying third on the league table with eight points from five matches, behind Ludwigsburg on 13 points and leaders Freiburg with 13 points.

Advertisement

Okeyo remains hopeful he will be back in Germany and is drawing inspiration from football side Bayern Munich who resumed training last Monday.

“The club is engaging me on a daily basis and that has given me hope. They are also in constant communication with the Germany Embassy so that once the Covid-19 is contained, I will be given first priority to jet out and join them,” said the 36-year-old international.

He was in the Kenya team that competed in the Tokyo Olympic qualifiers held in South Africa last year.

Loading...

Kenya finished fifth as South Africa qualified to represent Africa at the Tokyo Games that have been rescheduled to next year.

Okeyo, who locally turns out for giants Kenya Police in the Premier League, said he has learnt a lot from the Germany club and at the same time challenged players to watch YouTube hockey videos to remain knowledgeable in the sport.

“I have become a better player. While at Stuttgart, I have embraced coaching and when in Kenya I extend my coaching skills to the USIU (United States International University-Africa) women’s side,” Okeyo said.

“My input is there for everyone to see after I guided the students to finish second in the women’s Premier League last season and qualification to the African Clubs Championship.”

The talented Okeyo feels he has gained so much in his short stint in Europe.

“I receive training programmes from my club in Germany which I share with other players locally. I still do morning runs and avoid eating junk foods,” he said.

He revealed he intends to play for two more seasons before retiring.

“I will play for Police and Kenya if selectors need me.”

“I think I have served the country the best way I could.”

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending