NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 8 – Sports Cabinet Secretary Ababu Namwamba says he has managed to convince former Harambee Stars skipper Victor Wanyama to return to the national team.
Wanyama met with the CS yesterday afternoon where they held talks on a wide range of topics, including measures to get Kenyan football back on track.
“Am delighted @VictorWanyama has agreed to return fully to Harambee Stars, rescinding his earlier decision to exit the team. In our mission to rebuild our football and elevate our national teams, our elite players must be at the heart of this renaissance. @OgadaOlunga too is,” Namwamba said on a Twitter post.
Wanyama retired from the national team two years ago to concentrate on club duties, after more than a decade, the last four years seeing him captain the team.
Harambee Stars will however not be involved in any competitive international match at least for the next eight or so months having missed out on the qualifiers for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations due to the existing suspension.
But, the Federation might be inclined to get friendly matches during the forthcoming FIFA international windows.
There is currently no structure for the national team, with the former technical bench led by Engin Firat having concluded their duty just after the World Cup qualifiers last year, a few months before Kenya was suspended by FIFA.