Connect with us

General

Boy child rising: Victor Kinuthia now on Citizen TV morning show

Published

on

Loading...

Victor Kinuthia, an employee at Royal Media Services, is the epitome of grit in the journalism industry.

After his show of bravery during the live coverage of the arrest of Kiharu MP Ndindi Nyoro, Kinuthia now has a new role.

“Boy child rising! Tupatane Sema na Citizen,” an ecstatic Kinuthia wrote on Facebook.

Kinuthia is a reporter on Inooro TV, a 24-hour Kikuyu vernacular station owned by Royal Media Services (RMS).

He will be now also reporting live on the Sema na Citizen show that airs every morning from 10am.

On Tuesday, Kinuthia also received another unexpected call. BBC World Service radio in London had heard about him and wanted to do an interview in the evening. He said yes.

“My story of encouragement will be hitting airwaves across the world in 2 hours time. Stay tuned n be blessed for the continued support,” Kinuthia said.

On Wednesday, Kinuthia told Citizen Digital that the interview had left him even more exhilarated.

“It was a really good interview. I talked about my experience going live on Monday and how my bosses and senior journalists in the industry rallied behind me telling people how the first time is never easy for anyone,” he told Citizen Digital.

On Monday night, Kinuthia had been asked to go live on the company’s English station—Citizen TV–as MP Nyoro was being arrested in Murang’a.

Not one to shy away from a challenge, Victor took the bull by the horns and managed to convince lawmakers who had accompanied Nyoro to comment on the late-night standoff.

Hours after his nail-biting experience, his name was trending on Twitter with a section of Kenyans criticizing him for not being fluent in English.

“I almost gave up when I found myself trending all over after yesterday’s 9 pm news,” he said.

However, in an unexpected turn of events, his phone started blowing up with calls from colleagues at RMS and other media stations as well as family and friends.

They were all applauding him for his bravery and encouraging him not to let online trolls put him down.

According to him, the icing on the cake when his Editorial Director Joe Ageyo replied to one of the critics saying:

“I’ve done this for 21 years and I can tell you it’s no walk in the park. Victor found himself in a breaking news situation and gave it his best- his first live report of that kind. He’s destined for greatness. Truly proud of him.”

Top journalists in the industry including Hussein Mohammed, Yvonne Okwara, Victoria Rubadiri and Francis Gachuri were also rooting for him.

As fate would have it, MP Nyoro who had also been released from police custody with no charges preferred against him, was once again on Citizen TV but this time for the News Night show.

He expressed his dismay over Kinuthia’s experience online saying:

“Victor Kinuthia is my constituent in Kiharu and many times I appear on such a show when we are using vernacular language and I also get a lot of backlash…unaongea Kizungu inakaa Kikuyu…but I can’t change who I am….we must be proud of our identities and where we come from….so I want to tell Victor he is one of the best vernacular reporters on Inooro TV…..he was just holding brief the other side.”

Laura Walubengo had earlier said on Twitter: “We have all been laughed and mocked for being an embarrassment on air. I was even advised not to use the name Walubengo once. But you get better. And skill is a muscle, you shape it, tone it and work at it. All the best”






For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel




Video Of The Day: | THE MARA HEIST | Blatant plundering of Maasai Mara University funds


Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

US official coming to Kenya to discuss huge potential aid project

Published

on

Loading...
KEVIN J.  KELLEY

By KEVIN J. KELLEY
More by this Author

The head of a special US development programme is due in Kenya next week to hold initial talks on the country’s potential eligibility for project funding that could total billions of shillings.

Sean Cairncross, CEO of the Millennium Development Corporation (MCC), said in a press briefing on Thursday that Kenya is making “excellent progress” toward meeting criteria for inclusion in the programme.

Kenya has failed the MCC’s eligibility tests for more than a decade, largely because of rampant corruption.

But the US government-sponsored MCC decided last month to qualify Kenya for a “threshold programme” that will likely carry funding of between $20 million and $30 million.

The money to be given to Kenya through that programme would be used to promote additional gains in the country’s efforts to limit graft.

Successfully completing this initial step could result in Kenya being chosen for a “compact” with MCC. Such an arrangement, usually focused on infrastructure development, involves an MCC grant averaging about $350 million, Mr Cairncross said.

Advertisement

Established in 2004 during George W Bush’s presidency, the Millennium Challenge Corporation conditions its assistance on countries’ performance in “ruling justly”, following free-market economic policies, and investing in health, education and environmental initiatives.

Since its inception, MCC has awarded a total of more than $8 billion to 25 developing countries, including 13 on the African continent.

Loading...

Kenya must make additional progress in controlling corruption before it can be deemed eligible for an MCC compact, Mr Cairncross noted. The country’s standing in that regard is determined by assessments on the part of the World Bank and other “third-party data sources,” the MCC director said.

Corruption does not have to be eradicated in order for Kenya to qualify for an MCC compact, Mr Cairncross told reporters. Eligibility is assessed on the basis of a “trend toward dealing with that corruption and a willingness to engage government resources and political will to take those issues on,” he said.

This is not the first threshold programme for which Kenya has been chosen.

It entered into an initiative of that type in 2007 that was aimed at reforming the country’s public procurement systems, improving health service and delivery, and enhancing the monitoring capacity of government and civil-society organisations.

Despite some progress on each of those fronts, Kenya was still falling short of MCC eligibility standards when the first threshold programme concluded in 2010.

“Kenya is an important partner in East Africa,” the MCC said in December in announcing the country’s approval for a second threshold programme.

That MCC move likely reflects Washington’s aim of countering the influence China has gained in Kenya through its large-scale infrastructure investments in recent years.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Form One admission extended to January 24

Published

on

Loading...
OUMA WANZALA

By OUMA WANZALA
More by this Author

The Ministry of Education has extended admission of Form One students to January 24.

Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang in a circular to regional and county directors of Education dated January 17, said the exercise has been extended to ensure that no learner is locked out of secondary school.

The exercise was to end on January 17 and the extension is a relief to parents, who were struggling to raise fees.

“Schools should use the extension to trace their learners who have not reported and at the same time capture all reported learners in NEMIS,” said Dr Kipsang.

He also directed primary school head teachers to use their 2019 candidates’ list to ensure that they have been placed in secondary schools.

Loading...

Dr Kipsang directed the head teachers to report any child, who is out of school for any reason to respective Education officials.

Advertisement

The government introduced 100 percent transition to secondary school three years ago.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Police seize illegal gambling machines in Runda

Published

on

Loading...
SARAH NANJALA

By SARAH NANJALA
More by this Author

More than 1,200 gambling machines were Friday seized by detectives at a private residence in Nairobi’s Runda estate.

Confirming the incident, Gigiri Sub-County Commanding Police Officer Richard Muguai said officers received a tip-off from members of the public.

“A tip to the police station on Thursday led us to begin our investigations and send officers to check the house.

“At the house we found a green tent outside that was well covered and after opening we found more than 1,200 slot coin machines,” he said.

Mr Muguai further said that the house was unoccupied, save for a gardener at the compound who opened the premises for the police.

Loading...

“There is no one currently at the house and we are doing investigations to find the owners and tenants of the house. The gardener could not tell us much about who lived there and only told us that the machines were brought to the house in 2018,” he added.

Advertisement

Preliminary investigation according to the police boss show that the slot machines were brought to the house by three foreigners. The foreigners were of Chinese, Tanzanian and Zambian nationalities.

The police boss said no arrests have been made yet.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending