Connect with us


Bulgarian football chief resigns over racial abuse of England players




The president of the Bulgaria Football Union, Borislav Mihaylov, has resigned.

It follows Bulgaria Prime Minister Boyko Borissov calling for him to quit on Tuesday after the racist abuse of England players by home fans in Sofia.

The Euro 2020 qualifier, which England won 6-0, was stopped twice because of racist behaviour, which included Nazi salutes and monkey chants.

The BFU said the move “is a consequence of the recent tensions” but did not mention racism in their statement.

he statement said the tensions had created “an environment that is detrimental to Bulgarian football and the Bulgarian Football Union”.

It added that “Mihaylov expresses his firm readiness to continue helping in the development of Bulgarian football in every possible way”.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Bulgaria prime minister “strongly condemned” the fans’ behaviour and called for Mihaylov to resign “immediately”.

“After yesterday’s shameful loss of the Bulgarian National Team and given the bad results of our football, I ordered to end any relationship with BFU, including financial, until the withdrawal of Borislav Mihaylov from the post,” he said.

Before the match, Mihaylov had complained to Uefa about “unjust branding” after the build-up was overshadowed by fears England’s players could be subjected to abuse.

Mihaylov, a former Reading goalkeeper, played at three World Cups for Bulgaria and has been member of Uefa’s executive committee since 2011.

After making a pass in the first half, England defender Tyrone Mings glanced over his shoulder and could be heard calling towards the touchline: “Did you hear that?”

Shortly afterwards, in the 28th minute, the game was stopped.

Striker Harry Kane was in conversation with referee Ivan Bebek on the halfway line while a stadium announcement was made to condemn racist abuse and warn fans that the game could be abandoned if it continued. At the same time, England manager Southgate was talking to a number of his players.


The game resumed but was stopped again just before half-time. Southgate and several England players were in discussion with match officials before the game was restarted for a second time.

A group of Bulgaria supporters wearing black hooded tops – some wearing bandanas covering their faces – started to leave the stadium after the game was halted for a second time. BBC Radio 5 Live reported that some made racist gestures while heading towards the exits.

After six minutes of time added at the end of the first half because of the delay, Bulgaria captain Ivelin Popov was seen in a heated debate with a section of home supporters near the tunnel while the rest of the players headed for the dressing rooms for half-time.

In line with Uefa protocol, England had the option to walk off the pitch but they continued to play the full 90 minutes.

Courtesy- BBC Online

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property

Continue Reading


Man United vs Everton: Greenwood rescues Red Devils at Old Trafford ▷ Kenya News




– Man United vs Everton saw the two sides settle for a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford

– A first half own goal handed the visitors the lead before Greenwood equalising

– United remain sixth on the standings with 25 points, one behind fifth-placed Spurs

Man United had to rely on a late goal from substitute Mason Greenwood on Sunday afternoon, December 15, to secure a vital point at home against a stubborn Everton side.

United came into the match with the aim of extending their unbeaten streak in the Premier League to six matches as they push to break into the top four.

However, they had to wait until late in the second half break Everton who had taken an early lead courtesy of a Victor Lindelof own goal.

The Red Devils dominated the opening exchanges of the clash, but went down trailing after a defensive gaffe saw Lindelof direct the ball into his own net in the 36th minute.

Man United vs Everton: Greenwood rescues Red Devils at Old Trafford

Mason Greenwood scores the equaliser against Everton at Old Trafford. Photo: Getty Images.
Source: Getty Images

The goal resulted from a well taken corner kick that swung in only for David De Gea to miss the punch as the ball hit the centre back to roll in.

The restart of the second half saw a cautious Everton parade a rock solid defence, thereby frustrating the home side who were keen to restore parity.

Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw and Anthony Martial all came close to drawing United level in the first 20 minutes of the half, but all their efforts proved futile.

It was the introduction of Greenwood in the 65th minute that made the difference, with the youngster showing flashes of brilliance, nearly setting up Dan James for the leveller four minutes later.

He, however, went on to score in the 77th minute, striking low through Yerry Mina’s legs into the bottom corner to make it 1-1.

With neither side able to get the winner for the remainder of the clash, the two teams had to settle for the draw.

Continue Reading


Warriors of class: Ulinzi claim basketball league title




Ulinzi Warriors were on Saturday night  crowned Kenyan basketball men Premier League champions after a 67-63 win sealed a 3-1 series victory over Thunder in the playoff final played at Makande Gymnasium in Mombasa.

The Soldiers put to an end Kenya Ports Authority (KPA)’s dominance in the domestic league after the Dockers won the league three consecutive times(2016,2017 and 2018).

Ulinzi last won the league in  2015, and have now won the diadem nine times in the history.

The Warriors crushed out KPA in the semis while Thunder hammered EMYBA.

Apart from being the new champions, the soldiers will represent Kenya in the Basketball of Africa League (BAL)  second edition next year.

Ulinzi finished the regular league with 43 points having lost only one match while Thunder finished second with 41 points.

What had promised to be a good day turned into utter disappointment for Thunder after they dominated the first three quarters only to lose the last quarter horribly.

Thunder struck to win the first quarter 21-14 before claiming a 23-13 win in the second quarter  leading 44-27 by half-time.

After the break,  Thunder looked unstoppable as they registered a 16-14 win but Ulinzi came out of their closets to protect their territory shooting down Thunder 26-3 in the last quarter to emerge victorious.

Ulinzi had won Game Two and Three 123-106 and 99-51 respectively while Thunder had claimed Game One 75-73.

Thunder’s hitman Faheem Juma continued with his heroic performance scoring 26 points as captain Griffins Ligare scored 12 but this could not help them win.

Ulinzi captain John Washika  scored 13 points while Victor Bosire and James Mwangi scored 12 each.


Washika attributed the victory to their tight defending.

“Intensity on the defense won us the game. We were down 20 points. We fought so hard and gave our all to recover. Byron Mabonga came from the bench and he took charge.

We are humbled as a team and we give thanks and praise to the Most High,” the humble Washika said.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: | THE MEKATILILI LEGACY | Mekatilili Wa Menza contributed to Kenya’s independence struggle

Continue Reading


AFC Leopards hold leaders Tusker



VICTOR OTIENO             

By VICTOR OTIENO            
More by this Author

Kenyan Premier League leaders Tusker failed to make it five wins in five matches, as they settled for a barren draw with AFC Leopards at Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on Sunday.

Coach Robert Matano conceded the brewers did not play well.

“Our usual speed of attacking was not there. We improved in the second half, but still failed to score. It is not the result we wanted,” said Matano.

Leopards coach Casa Mbungo, who has served the club a two weeks notice over unpaid dues, said he was satisfied with the result because of the financial challenges facing the club.

“We have many problems, the training is not adequate so I thank God for the one point,” said the Rwandese.

The much-anticipated clash begun on an ugly note, after freelance journalist Seth Onserio was roughed up by a section of Ingwe’s supporters who accused him of writing negative stories about the club.


And when things got thick for the scribe, he took refuge inside the Outside Broadcast (OB) van, which was transmitting the match live.

Tusker goalkeeper Robert Mboya almost paid heavily in the 10th minute for leaving his line early, as Vincent Oburu rounded him and sent a shot at goal but defender Marlon Tangauzi came to the brewers’ rescue.


Leopards looked determined to return to winning ways, as they were on the front foot in the early exchanges with Hansel Ochieng missing a golden chance in the 18th minute.

Tangauzi attempted to put Tusker ahead with a long range effort in the 20th minute, but goalkeeper Benjamin Ochan was alert.

Captain Robinson Kamura thrilled hundreds of Ingwe’s supporters with a well worked free-kick in the 38th minute, which was saved by goalkeeper Mboya, as the visitors maintained their bright start.

Four minutes into the second-half, Tusker made the first change of the match, George “Blackberry” Odhiambo replacing Faraj Odenyi.

Leopards survived a scare in the 51st minute when Tusker’s David Majak flashed a cross across the face of goal but there was no yellow shirt to connect.

Moments later, substitute Odhiambo thought he had given Tusker the lead but his goal was cancelled for offside, before Austin Otieno saw his effort on the other end miss the target.

Oburu wormed his way past several legs inside Tusker’s box in the 79th minute, but failed to beat goalkeeper Mboya from a tight angle.

Tusker remain top of the table with 28 points while Leopards are ranked eighth with 19 points.

Continue Reading