Connect with us

General

Chinese govt dismisses report of Mombasa Port being collateral

Published

on

Loading...





China’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying

KBC_Facebook-728x90

The Chinese government has dismissed reports that Kenyan government used Mombasa port as collateral for a loan to construction the Standard Gauge Railway. 

Through its Foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying the Chinese government says it has confidence that the Nairobi-Mombasa SGR line is feasible and more such projects are welcome.

“We have checked with the relevant Chinese financial institution and found that the allegation that the Kenyan government used the Mombasa port as a collateral in its payment agreement for Nairobi-Mombasa railway is not true.” Said the statement.

Hua Chunying indicated the China-Kenya cooperation on Standard Gauge Railway is progressing smoothly.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 22163

The Chinese government dispels the idea that African countries were at risk of bring overburdened with china loans saying feasibility studies are conducted before the projects are undertaken.

“When cooperating with African countries including Kenya, Chinese companies and financial institutions will always conduct joint and thorough scientific study on the feasibility of the projects and then proceed to determine construction and funding plans and scales to guard against causing debt risks and fiscal burdens for Africa.”

The statement from the Chinese government echoes sentiments from the Kenyan government that dismissed media reports that Kenya risks losing the Mombasa port if fails to repay the loan.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Loading...

Tell Us What You Think







Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Cameroon turns stadium into isolation centre as virus cases hit 650

Published

on

Loading...
NDI EUGENE NDI

By NDI EUGENE NDI
More by this Author

Yaounde. Cameroon has turned a football stadium in the country into an accommodation centre for coronavirus patients as authorities grapple with lack of space to lodge and treat the growing number of people testing positive for the virus.

Minister of Public Health, Dr Manaouda Malachie, said on Saturday that the Yaounde military stadium will now serve as one of the large capacity centres in the capital expected to increase the country’s management capacity to more than 3,000 beds.

He had earlier accompanied the Secretary General of the Cameroon Presidency, Mr Ferdinand Ngoh Ngoh, for an inspection of the stadium.

Authorities are also using some newly constructed social housing apartments in the country as accommodation centres.

Confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the Central African country have hit 650 as it recorded nine deaths and 17 recoveries.

The country was the fifth on the continent with the highest number of confirmed cases after South Africa, Algeria, Egypt and Morocco as at Saturday.

Loading...
Advertisement

According to the Public Health Minister, the growing number of identified cases of the virus is thanks to a revised government strategy which includes mass generalised testing.

A mass testing campaign began in the country’s economic hub, Douala, with community health workers going round neighbourhoods to find potential positive cases.

“Similarly, there is a large order for respiratory assistance equipment through the central procurement office of the United Nations Development Programme,” the minister said.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Woman begs CS Kagwe to release her from extended quarantine – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

A woman placed under mandatory quarantine has captured the attention of Kenyans with her passionate appeal to Health CS Mutahi Kagwe.

The young woman penned an emotional open letter to the Health CS asking him to reconsider the 14-day extension of their isolation.

Kagwe on Saturday announced that those who have been in quarantine centres will have to extend their stay their by a fortnight.

This is after it emerged that some of those quarantined were sneaking out to go partying, a move that could further spread Covid-19.

In the letter written from quarantine at Pride Inn Azure hotel in Nairobi, the woman lamented that it wasd unfair for individuals who have been adhering to the government’s orders in quarantine to be punished for the sins of those who have been flouting the rules.

“We continue observing quarantine rules even though the rest of us tested negative. We wear masks every time we step out of our rooms. Sir, we are not party to the cases you cited in your press briefing. We therefore PLEAD with you to INTERVENE in our case, and authorise our release after our 14 days quarantine are over. Some of us are due to check out of the hotel on Monday the 6th of April,” read part of the letter.

In a separate video recording, the young woman experiences an emotional breakdowns as she narrates her experience in isolation.

She said she arrived in the country on March 23, and was taken to the hotel for quarantine, a stay she lamented has been unpleasant.

Loading...

The woman narrated how she had suffered four panic attacks while some of her fellow students quarantined at the same hotel often break down in tears.

“My greetings to everyone watching this video, I arrived in Kenya on the 23rd of March after I flew in from Canada. We were taken to a hotel where we were told we should quarantine and I complied. Now what happens on the 12th day we are told that we have to stay for 14 more days after our period is over. Considering we had followed all the government had said.

“So many of us are university students in the hotel, there is a pregnant mother who needs prenatal care and she is not getting that. So many of us are travelling from abroad and it is like our mental health has not been put into consideration at all. All this is taking a toll on our mental health if we won’t be affected by the virus for sure we will get so many panic attacks.”

I have had four panic attacks in the last two hours. The government has not taken into consideration the mental health of all the people quarantined,” complain the University student.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

State clears way for affordable fertiliser : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

Farmers maintain one-meter distance while planting in Mangu Estate, Nakuru County. [Harun Wathari/Standard]
Kenya National Trading Corporation (KNTC) has partnered with Moroccan fertiliser manufacturer, OCP Group, to enable smallholder farmers access low-cost input.

The partnership will see Di-ammonium phosphate (DAP) distributed to farmers at Sh2,300 per 50kg bag.
KNTC Managing Director Timothy Mirugi said the partnership with OCP Group through its subsidiary, OCP Kenya, was in line with the government’s objective of promoting agriculture under the Big Four agenda.
Mirugi said the fertiliser will be sourced directly from the manufacturer in Morocco, thus cutting costs normally charged by suppliers and middlemen and shouldered by farmers.
SEE ALSO: The CEO who sometimes goes without salaryThe move gives maize farmers a sigh of relief. The farmers have been buying the same amount of fertiliser for between Sh2,800 and Sh3,100 from some stores in the North Rift region.
Limited stocks
Farmers have been scrambling for limited stocks of last year’s carryover of subsidised fertiliser in Eldoret and Moi’s Bridge National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB) depots. An official from the board, who spoke to The Standard on condition of anonymity, said they were yet to receive subsidy for the current year.
For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.   Read Now »
During the opening of this year’s Eldoret Agricultural Society of Kenya show, Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Peter Munya announced that fertilisers for this year’s planting season would cost Sh2,300 per bag.
Uasin Gishu Agriculture Executive Samuel Yego recently said NCPB still has 32,000 bags of last year’s subsidised fertiliser at the Eldoret depot, and another 25,000 bags in Moi’s Bridge. He said this was inadequate since the county requires over 550,000 bags.
Yesterday, Mirugi told The Standard that they would guard supplies from unscrupulous business people who may buy the fertiliser in large quantities to sell at higher prices.
“We are targeting smallholder farmers to enhance food security and economic empowerment. Priority will be given to those who cultivate 10 acres. Those with 50 acres will also be considered after vetting,” said Mirugi.
He said mechanisms are in place to ensure the input only benefits farmers who produce maize, wheat and other food crops. “We are liaising with agricultural officials and county administrators, coordinated by county commissioners, to ensure only genuine farmers benefit,” he said.

Loading...

Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.

Related Topics
Kenya National Trading CorporationOCP Groupfertiliser

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending