Connect with us

General

CS Matiang’i Promises To Settle Former Athlete Nyantika Maiyoro’s Hospital Bills –

Published

on

Loading...


Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i on Monday pledged to settle former international athlete Nyantika Maiyoro’s hospital bills.

The stranded legendary athlete had been admitted at a health facility after he had complained of chest pains for almost three months.

According to the medical practitioners at the Christa Marianne Hospital, Maiyoro was diagnosed with tuberculosis two weeks ago.

Following his diagnosis, he was scheduled for major tests on Thursday last week which were later postponed as the family could not raise the required Ksh80,000.

Upon hearing the unfortunate case, CS Matiang’i, through an intermediary, contacted the family and pledged to pay his hospital bills.

Ken Rodgers, Maiyoro’s son stated: “The CS talked to us through phone and promised to cater for the bills and all costs that we will incur while in hospital.”

Speaking to the media, the doctors have divulged that the track legend is currently responding well to drugs despite him still complaining of chest pains.

A doctor who sought anonymity mentioned: “We have seen a major improvement since he was admitted here and we are hoping in the next few days he will be well.”

Track Legend Nyantika Mayioro. / Courtesy

Read: Agony For Mother Who Walked 5Km With Dead Infant, Waited Three Hours For Mortuary Services

Maiyoro’s case is among many which have come to the limelight, where legendary athletes and other famous people lack medical care for lack of funds despite them enjoying public accolades in the past.

Legislators have been working on forming a kitty that will help needy legendary Kenyans in whatever fields, to cater for their medical funds upon retirement.

Loading...

However, no major strides have been made on that front yet.

Email your news TIPS to [email protected] or WhatsApp +254708677607. You can also find us on Telegram through www.t.me/kahawatungu

Newsletter

Want more stuff like this?

Get the best viral stories straight into your inbox!



Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Victims of toxic malaria jab get Sh42.8m payout : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

The Busia County government has released Sh42.8 million as compensation for 28 children who developed complications after receiving a malaria injection at a public clinic in 2015.
The payout follows a 2017 ruling by Resident Magistrate Josephine Maragia, who said the children were victims of professional negligence.
The court noted the victims were not given proper diagnosis and treatment by a competent medical practitioner.
SEE ALSO: Busia police seize bhang sneaked from UgandaThe children developed various complications, including paralysis, after receiving the injection at Akichelesit dispensary in Teso North Constituency.
Some of them suffered permanent disabilities.
The payment has came as a major relief to parents who have had to dig deeper into their pockets to support their children, including specialised treatment.
For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.   Read Now »
Some of the victims’ parents said the money, released last week, will help them take care of their children.
Emmanuel Omonya’s 10-year-old daughter Cate Atenge’s left leg was paralysed. One of her knees is stiff. Atenge has to use crutches.
SEE ALSO: Man found with county cheques worth Sh1.8 million chargedOmonya said his daughter’s life has never been the same after the incident. He said his mother has to massage her leg with milking jelly every morning to ease the pain.
He said he will use to money to seek specialised treatment for the girl.
“The money may not return my daughter’s life to how it was before the incident but I am happy the county government has compensated her. We have been waiting for the county government to act for a long time,” he said.
He added: “My daughter has suffered a lot. She struggles to walk. I may have to buy her a wheelchair to make it easier for her to move around and go to school.”
Atenge is a pupil at St Mary’s Primary School, which is 700 metres away from their home.
SEE ALSO: Fishermen help 214 needy students get Sh1.4m feesOmonya said his wife miscarried and died in 2018 due to stress after learning their daughter was paralysed.
“This girl needs physiotherapy but I could not afford it. I hope she will now get the treatment she needs,” he said.
Abel Okiror was present to witness the cheque being handed over to their lawyer. His daughter Vivian Asere, 11, is paralysed in the right side.
The Class Four pupil has been struggling to walk.
Okiror appealed to parents of those affected to use the money to get their children proper treatment.
SEE ALSO: Police officers seize 77kg ivory“Let us use the money to improve the lives of the children who have suffered so much so they will not have to ask us one day what happened to the money that was paid to them,” he said.
Evalyne Barasa’s children, Gideon Wekesa, 12, and Shielda Nekesa, 10, were victims of the botched injection. It affected their backs and left legs.
Evalyne, a widow, said she has to massage her children every now and then to ease their pain.
She said while she is sad that her children cannot play with their colleagues as they did before, she is happy that they have been compensated.
Doctors continue
Deputy Governor Moses Mulomi, who gave out the cheque, said they will ensure doctors continue attending to the affected children.
Mr Mulomi said another Sh19 million, part of the compensation, will be released in the next financial year.
“We are pleading with the parents of the affected children to ensure the victims benefit from this money,” Mulomi said.
He continued: “We are going to keep a close eye on the children, especially those who suffered serious injuries, with a view to ensure they get required medication.”
Mathew Edejai, who is also a parent of one of the affected children, called on the county government to keep its promise to release the remaining amount in the next fiscal year.
“It has been a painful experience for us. We do not expect the county to take us in circles again,” said Edejai.
The victim’s lawyer, Mr Bernard Ombui, told The Standard yesterday that a chunk of the money will go towards treatment of the children.

Loading...

Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.

Related Topics
Busia CountyResident Magistrate Josephine Maragia

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Institute in Naivasha turned to isolation centre : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

An unidentified Nairobi county worker undergoes temperature check at Uhuru Park, Nairobi on Monday, April 6, 2020. [Collins Kweyu, Standard]

The Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute (KWSTI) in Naivasha has been identified as a quarantine centre.

The move follows the recent directive by the State that health officials should identify institutions which can be used as quarantine centres in case the number of those affected by Covid-19 rises.
At the same time, screening of all travellers along the Nairobi-Nakuru highway has been heightened.
Naivasha, being home to many high-end hotels, normally receives a lot of visitors.
According to Naivasha Sub-county Public Health Officer George Ndichu, the training institute met all health requirements laid down by the Ministry of Health.
Mr Ndichu was, however, quick to note that no coronavirus case has been reported in Naivasha.
“We have identified KWSTI as the new quarantine centre in Naivasha. This is part of our preparedness in containing the spread of this virus,” said Ndichu.
For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.   Read Now »
He asked residents to observe social-distance and wash their hands in order to stop the spread of the virus.
“We have trained our security officers on this disease and we shall continue to give more information to the public,” Ndichu said.
Elsewhere, there was a moment of panic in Karagita estate in Naivasha after a flower farm worker collapsed and died in unclear circumstances.
Some residents fled from the scene following information that the man had breathing complications before he passed on.
Simon Mwangi, a witness, said the worker had been complaining of chest pains and breathing problems before he collapsed.
“It happened very fast. He was confirmed dead on arrival in the hospital,” Mr Mwangi said. A senior police officer said the body has been taken to Naivasha Sub-county Hospital mortuary.
“Only an autopsy can confirm the cause of death,” the officer who sought anonymity said.

Loading...

Are you suspecting that you have coronavirus? Before you rush to the hospital, do this quick easy self-assessment test. #StayHome #WashYourHands HERE.

Related Topics
Isolation centreKWSTINaivashaCoronavirus

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Political power play disrupted as teams formed to lead pandemic war

Published

on

Loading...
JOHN KAMAU

By JOHN KAMAU
More by this Author

As the coronavirus crisis deepens, President Uhuru Kenyatta appears to have used the opportunity to solidify the workings of the administrative state — having liquefied the political state for the last one year.
A look at who is who in the newly-formed National Co-ordination Committee on the Coronavirus Pandemic is an indicator of the people that the President hopes to rely on as the country goes through one of the worst health crisis in recent history.

Loading...

Tracking coronavirus
With most of the politicians cut from the war against coronavirus, it is the government administration structure that has taken over, with regional commissioners being in charge at the county levels.
Internal documents indicate that President Kenyatta has given Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i powers to appoint several ad-hoc committees, which are working behind the scenes to contain the crisis.
Before the coronavirus gust disrupted the political stage and threw the politicos off-balance, Dr Matiang’i had become the dominant face of the administrative state — thanks to his position as the Interior CS and as the chairperson of the National Development Implementation and Communication Committee, whose mandate is to supervise the execution of government programmes.
Dr Matiang’i now has the mandate to chair the co-ordination committee on coronavirus. Health CS Mutahi Kagwe, Treasury’s Ukur Yatani, Monica Juma (Defence), Peter Munya (Agriculture) and Joseph Mucheru (ICT and Youth Affairs) sit on the committee.
Others in this committee include Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua, Attorney-General Kihara Kariuki, Chief of Defence Forces Gen Samson Mwathethe and National Intelligence Service Director General Major-General Philip Kameru.
Also sitting in the committee is Council of Governor Chairman Wycliffe Oparanya and Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho.
On Monday while making the decision by the National Security Council on strict movement into and within Nairobi, Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa, it was apparent that Deputy President William Ruto, who ought to be a member of the council, was missing in action. He has not been included in any of the committees.
Again, the media briefings have been left to Mr Mutahi Kagwe, who is less confrontational with reporters and displays better command and control of the meetings.
At times, Mr Kagwe has been delegating the duty to the Chief Administrative Secretary Mercy Mwangangi with technical support from Dr Patrick Amoth, the director-general of Health.
Previously, the President had appointed a National Emergency Response Committee chaired by Mr Kagwe. It has now been expanded and in the new arrangement, Education CS George Magoha, a medical doctor, will now be sitting in this committee together with principal secretaries Belio Kipsang and Simon Wabukwesi.
Also brought in is Lt Gen Robert Kibochi, the vice-chief of the Defence Forces and Kang’ethe Thuku, the Principal Administrative Secretary in the Ministry of Interior.
The inclusion of the military in the arrangement means that the coronavirus pandemic is turning to be a national emergency.
Also established is the National Economic and Business Response working group, which is mobilising resources and conducting household impact assessment. Already, chiefs have been mobilised in various counties to list down the vulnerable members, with fear that the pandemic will take its toll on the poor and the elderly.
The economic team is chaired by National Treasury CS Ukur Yatani and has among its members Industrialisation CS Betty Maina, Adan Mohammed East African Community), Najib Balala (Tourism) and Central Bank Governor Patrick Njoroge.
The President seemed to indicate that the war on corruption would go hand in hand with the fight against the coronavirus by instructing Treasury to allocate the Sh2 billion recovered by the Asset Recovery to the vulnerable within the community.
“Our fight in this area continues,” said the President.
Besides disrupting the political power play, the pandemic will also leave a major gap in the coffers and might mean that President Kenyatta’s Big Four legacy will be in trouble.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending