Do you remember the first time you ever danced? Probably not, you might have been a little human but if you want to witness the joy of dancing just watch a child dance. So care free, absolutely uncoordinated but none the less very interesting to watch. Child’s play aside, dancing especially to music you enjoy can turn into a full blown work out. The average song lasts about 3 to 5 minutes.
In those few minutes of vigorous dancing many are usually left winded and sweating. According to PopSugar, an individual loses about 39 calories in 5 minutes of vigorous dancing.
Gym based work out routines seem to drag on the 5 minute mark but PopSugar further explained that it is possible for individuals who dance to their favourite music end up ‘working out’ longer compared to when they were at the gym.
There are many forms of dance that can help in reducing weight. Regular exercise might become boring and monotonous, hence dancing appears as a pleasing and fun option. However, you have to choose the right type of dance depending upon your body structure, strength and stamina. Some dance forms are more strenuous than others and you have to be careful in choosing the right one to get maximum results:
1. Freestyle– as the name suggests, there is no structured dance steps or movements. One basically lets the music carry them and they move their body accordingly. This dance form can be performed on any type of loud music and you can increase your pace by dancing anyway you like. The beats should be fast to boost up your energy levels and teases you to dance non-stop.
2. Belly Dancing-is primarily a torso-driven dance, with an emphasis on articulations of the hips isolations of the torso muscles helps tone problem areas like hips, back and abs. The music associated usually has a heavy Arab influence as the dance originated form the Arab world. The music is usually composed of a mixture of speeds ensuring that your metabolism is constantly pumping.
3. Zumba- is undeniably the most popular form of dance exercise, it incorporates salsa, rumba, merengue and hip hop moves to cause movement thus giving you a cardio workout. Most gym facilities offer the Zumba classes at different times of the day. Zumba is led by an instructor and the participants follow the moves. Moreover, the internet is filled with Zumba routines that one can do in their homes. There are various levels of intensity, all based on your stamina and level of experience. From beginner to expert.
4. Back to your roots- in our motherland Africa, all communities have their very own dance routines. The dance routines are usually accompanied to folk songs that bear a teaching or warning. The movements follow the beats and the instructions of the singer. This form of dance exercise not only helps you lose weight, but you end up with a deeper connection to your community.
5. Hip Hop- Hip Hop dancing is relatively popular in night clubs. With the new age of Hip Hop music production, the songs usually accompany a dance routine that goes viral within a few days of its release. The quick succession of movements involved in this dance exercises the entire body. It is a high energy workout that is good for both beginners and veterans.
Move the coffee table aside, turn on your stereo system and blast your favourite songs. Dance with everything you’ve got. It will be worth it.