Connect with us

General

Give report to all Kenyans, team urged : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

DPPS 18th Jan 2020 11:00:00 GMT +0300
DP WIlliam Ruto with Taita Taveta Woman Rep Lydia Haika (centre), Taveta MP Naomi Shaban and former governor John Mruttu. [DPPS]
Deputy President William Ruto has asked the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) taskforce to move swiftly and share its countrywide programme with Kenyans.

He said this would enable Kenyans prepare to share their input with the taskforce thereby making the final report inclusive.
“The programme would guide and prepare us because we would want to see the opinion of all Kenyans to count in this process,” he said.
Ruto spoke yesterday in Taita Taveta County, during a leaders’ consultative meeting attended by among others Taveta MP Naomi Shabaan, Taita Taveta Woman Representative Lydiah Haika, former area governor and Woman Rep John Mruttu and Joyce Lay, and several MCAs.
SEE ALSO :DP Ruto: My road to presidency is clearInformed decisions
The Deputy President further called on the taskforce to avail sufficient copies of the BBI report to Kenyans.
“By reading the report, Kenyans would be able to make informed decisions,” he added.
For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.   Subscribe Now »
He said Kenyans should turn up in large numbers and support the process that may define the country’s future. “Let us cooperate and make it a success so that by June, we have the second draft,” he said.

Loading...

Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.

Related Topics
William RutoBuilding Bridges InitiativeBBI

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

British PM Boris Johnson spends second night in intensive care

Published

on

Loading...
AFP

By AFP
More by this Author

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was spending a second night in intensive care battling the coronavirus which has infected more than 55,000 across the country and killed nearly 6,200.

“He stayed at work for you… now pray at home for him,” The Sun tabloid splashed across its front page Wednesday while the Daily Express said: “Boris ‘will pull through’.”

Deputising for Johnson, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said he was “confident he’ll pull through, because if there’s one thing I know about this prime minister, he’s a fighter and he’ll be back, leading us through this crisis in short order”.

In an update Tuesday evening, the prime minister’s spokesman said his “condition is stable and he remains in intensive care for close monitoring.”

He earlier said the 55-year-old Conservative leader was receiving “standard oxygen treatment and breathing without any other assistance” and had not required a ventilator.

Johnson is the most high-profile government leader to become infected with Covid-19 and messages of support flooded in from across Britain and the world.

Advertisement

He was admitted to intensive care on Monday evening after spending Sunday night in hospital following concerns he still had a cough and high temperature 10 days after being diagnosed with Covid-19.

His transfer to intensive care is unprecedented for a prime minister during a national emergency.

For many people, it brought home the seriousness of the disease that has so far seen 6,159 deaths in Britain, with a record 786 more reported in a daily update on Tuesday.

Despite the record daily death toll, there was more encouraging news with the number of new daily cases remaining at a roughly stable 3,643.

In a round of broadcast interviews, senior minister Michael Gove insisted the “work of government goes on”.

He later said he was now staying at home after a family member displayed mild coronavirus symptoms.

Raab chaired the daily coronavirus meeting in the prime minister’s place on Tuesday.

“There is a clear plan… the government and the cabinet are working together to implement that plan,” Johnson’s spokesman said when asked if there was a power vacuum in Britain.

The country does not have a formal constitutional role of deputy prime minister, and experts said Raab would need the support of the rest of the cabinet to make any big decisions.

The most pressing issue is a review expected next week on whether to continue the nationwide lockdown introduced on March 23 to try to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Loading...

Johnson announced on March 27 that he had coronavirus and went into self-isolation in a flat above his Downing Street office.

But on Monday evening he was moved to intensive care in London’s St Thomas’ hospital after his condition worsened.

The prime minister has received messages of support from around the world, with US President Donald Trump sending best wishes to his “very good friend” while Russian leader Vladimir Putin said Johnson’s “energy, optimism and sense of humour” would see him through.

For some, Johnson’s larger-than-life personality has made his hospitalisation all the more shocking.

His biographer Andrew Gimson said Johnson always made him feel upbeat, and “now here he is the stricken one”.

“This is an enormous shock, completely unfamiliar territory for all those who know him,” he told BBC radio.

Experts said it was not uncommon for coronavirus patients to move to intensive care, but said it showed Johnson’s condition was serious.

“There is no doubt this turn of events means Boris Johnson is extremely sick,” said Derek Hill, professor of medical imaging at University College London.

The British government was criticised for initially refusing to follow other European countries in requiring people to stay home as the virus spread rapidly across the globe.

Johnson himself said in early March that he was still shaking hands with people.

Two weeks ago, he ordered a nationwide lockdown, but parliament continued to sit for several days after and Westminster became a hotspot for the virus.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock and the heir to the throne, Prince Charles, have both been infected, although they have since recovered.

Johnson, who has been prime minister only since July last year, is not known to have any underlying health issues, although he has struggled with his weight.

Johnson’s pregnant partner, Carrie Symonds, moved out of Downing Street after some staff fell ill.

But she said on Saturday she had just spent a week in bed with symptoms, although she has not been tested.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Virus fears: Mozambique frees 5,000 inmates

Published

on

Loading...
ARNALDO VIEIRA

By ARNALDO VIEIRA
More by this Author

MAPUTO. Authorities in Mozambique have freed more than 5,000 inmates as coronavirus fears grow in the Southern Africa country.

Parliament on Monday passed an amnesty law on sentences affecting 5,032 local and foreign nationals to reduce congestion and curb the spread of Covid-19.

The law will benefit inmates who had sentences of up to one year.

So far, Mozambique has confirmed 10 coronavirus cases. None of those were reported in its congested prisons though, but officials said they were taking precautions.

“Mozambique jails, which have five times more than its real 4,498 capacity, are overcrowded and this would be risky for the pandemic spread,” Minister for Justice, Religious and Constitutional Matters Helena Kida said.

Advertisement

Last week, Mozambique President Filipe Nyusi declared a countrywide state of emergency effective April 1 to 30 in a bid to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Mr Nyusi justified the measures citing the need to protect all people’s lives.

Loading...

The southern African country also suspended the issuance of visas with effect from March 23 and shut all education institutions as preventive measure.

In March 22, Mozambique confirmed its first positive case of Covid-19.

Gatherings of more than 50 people are also prohibited according to the presidential decree.

Following an attack at Mocimboa da Praia Quissanga villages, Cabo Delgado, tens of displaced families are fleeing to the provincial capital Pemba seeking security.

Cabo Delgado, which is about 1,663 kilometres north of Maputo, boasts minerals such as gold, grenadines, aquamarines, tourmalines, blue topaz and green tourmalines and attracts many foreigners.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Uhuru: Obey all State orders or risk lockdown : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

President Uhuru Kenyatta gestures during a past meeting. He has asked Kenyans to observe State measures to combat Covid-19 .[PSCU]
Kenyans must follow strict orders mooted by the government to curb the spread of coronavirus if they want to avoid a total lockdown, President Uhuru Kenyatta has said.

Speaking yesterday during interviews in three Gikuyu language radio stations, the president urged Kenyans to adhere to protocols set by the Ministry of Health in order to stem out coronavirus.
Uhuru described the virus as formidable, capable of destroying world economies, but insisted that the most important thing right now was saving human lives. 
“We know how we can revive the economy after this crisis but no one knows how to revive a lost life,” he said.
SEE ALSO: Japan cruise ship coronavirus cases climb to 174He also urged Kenyans to comply with quarantine measures put in place, saying though painful, the measures will save lives.
“We do not wish to reach a point where we will have to institute more severe measures,” the president added.
While commenting on chaos witnessed yesterday on major highways as motorists tried to leave Nairobi, he noted that police should allow those with compelling reasons to leave or enter Nairobi.
For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.   Read Now »
“We ask those who have, for example, medical appointments that can’t be postponed to provide documentary evidence to police so that they can be allowed to enter or leave Nairobi,’’ Uhuru said.
“I am also urging our police officers to welcome those who come to explain their reasons for breaking the partial lockdown and listen to them.”
SEE ALSO: New China virus cases drop for third day as toll passes 1,600The president, who spoke on a wide range of measures taken by the government to ensure that Kenyans continue with their lives, said a total lockdown was the last option on the table.
He noted that if all Kenyans follow the guidelines put in place so far, then the country will not need to go that route.
“We understand our people better. We know that a majority of Kenyans depend on daily economic activities to earn their livelihoods therefore, we don’t need to lock down the country as long as we can strictly adhere to the measures already in place,” he said. 
He also explained that the decision to restrict Kenyans from moving to rural counties was made ahead of the Easter holiday in order to protect those living there, especially the elderly, from catching the virus from their visiting relatives.
“We know that a majority of our old people live in rural areas and according to studies, this disease affects the old more than it affects youth,” the president explained.
SEE ALSO: China leader Xi Jinping knew about coronavirus scale much earlier than believedHe also revealed that the government has rolled out plans to ensure that enough protective gear and medical provisions are sourced.
Uhuru ruled out the resumption of church services. He said the decision has weighed heavily on him, especially the fact that he could not even attend retired Archbishop Ndingi Mwana a’Nzeki’s funeral service.
“I want to urge all Kenyans to pray in their homes and to follow church sermons on television and through online platforms until this pandemic ends,” the president averred.
He noted that the last few days when the virus was rapidly spreading across the globe, Kenya’s airspace remained opened and that was the time those in the diaspora should have come back home. “Somehow the disease was able to get into the country and we now have to deal with the situation,” said Uhuru.
He also urged all Kenyans to take the disease seriously, saying it was not discriminating between the poor and the rich. He cited the infection of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who was taken to the Intensive Care Unit on Monday.
SEE ALSO: Americans arrive home from virus-infected cruise shipThe president commended property owners who have come out to support the Covid-19 fight by waiving or reducing rent.  
Uhuru also said he wished Kilifi Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi gets a long jail term for endangering Kenyans by failing to self quarantine after a visit to Germany, just as the virus was starting to have an impact in the country.

Loading...

Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.

Related Topics
Covid-19President Uhuru Kenyatta

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending