Migori Governor Okoth Obado has filed an application seeking the review of his bail terms in the case in which he is accused of murdering Sharon Otieno and her unborn child.
Lawyers Rogers Sagana and Cliff Ombeta representing Obado requested the court to return his passport adding that the Governor should also be allowed to travel and transit through Homa Bay county which was made out of bounds for him because Sharon’s parents and potential witnesses live there.
Justice Jessie Lessit was also told that Obado cannot access all the eight constituencies in Migori County, because some are within the restricted zone.
He is charged together with his former personal assistant Michael Oyamo and Migori County clerk Caspal Obiero.
Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 22163
Obado, who was freed on a Ksh500,000 bond with a surety of similar amount or 200,000 cash bail last year after more than a month in custody, saw his movements tightly regulated by the court.
A governor, being the chief executive of a county, is entitled to foreign travel but Obado has to seek the court’s permission before making any such trips after he was ordered to deposit his passport and travel documents.
Obado was also barred from going anywhere within 20km of Homa Bay-Migori boundary and the court declared that it had the liberty to cancel his bail at any time.
The case will be mentioned on March 20 for pretrial.
His bail can be cancelled over the following reasons
- If he causes any adjournments to the case.
- If he fails to report to the court’s deputy registrar once a month.
- If he tampers or intimidates witnesses as per witness statements.
- If he communicates with parents, siblings and close friends of the now deceased Ms Otieno.
- If he is at any given time within 20 kilometres of Homa Bay County’s boundaries from any direction where the murder of Sharon Otieno which he has been charged with, took place.
Tell Us What You Think