Connect with us

General

Jalang’o responds to YouTuber Edgar Obare – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Kenyan comedian Jalang’o has responded to YouTuber Edgar Obare on claims that he intends to harm him.

Jalang’o took to his social media to dismiss the claims by Obare terming them as laughable and malicious.

“A blogger wakes up and post that I called him and threatened him? That he meets me at DCI. I just laugh! From his screenshots there is someone working really hard to try and Tarnish my name, I will not even bother asking or following who you are who talks to blogger and lie to them about me, just Malice! Pure malice!” Posted Jalang’o.

In addition, Jalang’o advised Obare to report the matter to the police rather than post it on social media.

“I have a lot on my plate to even bother with you and if you are honest about being threatened you don’t post, you report,” he added.

Itinerary

The comedian then shared his itinerary for that date he was accused.

“I was at Milele FM at 4 am up to 10. I was working for Quick Mart Roysambu to 11 am. At 12 I was at Raddison Blue Day 2 Bamburi. Tonight I am Hosting the Unga Limited New year event at Weston. Am here already. That’s what they don’t want to hear…But I always say haters are fans whose love for me is confused! Today I went to Obare DM and asked him when I ever called him he has not replied,” he wrote.

Loading...

On Friday, the YouTuber sensationally accused the comedian of contacting him and demanding a meeting at the DCI. Further, he alleged that a close source to the presenter contacted him and warned him that there was a plot to harm him.

“Be very careful! They are planning to let things go quiet and people forget before they strike! I hear you still mention boss in your interviews,” part of the screenshot from Obare read.

Obare’s allegations come just days after he pulled down video of celebrities, including Jalang’o.

Most of the celebrities on Obare’s YouTube channel were accused of cheating.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

From starvation to coronavirus, Zimbabwe’s problems keep piling

Published

on

Loading...
KITSEPILE NYATHI

By KITSEPILE NYATHI
More by this Author

The Covid-19 outbreak is expected to worsen Zimbabwe’s problems as the southern African country grapples with a tanking economy, the worst food shortages in decades and a collapsing health system, observers warn.

Zimbabwe, which has been battling a long running economic crisis, has recorded three cases of the deadly disease with one fatality so far.

Manufacturing and other sectors have projected a calamitous year ahead since the country is heavily dependent on China for raw materials.

A mini survey by the Confederation of Zimbabwe Industries (CZI) revealed that the country’s manufacturing has suffered a 46 per cent disruption in supply chains following the outbreak of the Covid-19 in China at the end of last year.

The disease has since spread to almost all parts of the globe, with South Africa – Zimbabwe’s largest trading partner – now the worst hit on the continent.

Advertisement

“Local factories will obviously suffer the effects of the pandemic since China is the largest source of raw materials and equipment,” CZI said.

“Zimbabwe will experience major dislocations in exports and imports as the virus spreads and countries adopt restrictive responses that curb manufacturing.”

Last month, the International Monetary Fund revised downwards Zimbabwe’s economic growth forecast for the second time inside three months, slashing its own projection from 2.7 to a mere 0.8 per cent.

IMF citied a devastating drought, a sharp rise in inflation and policy missteps by President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s government as some of the reasons for the projected slump.

Economists said the country – already facing a staggering HIV/Aids burden, mass starvation and economic stagnation – is too fragile to handle a pandemic.

Eddie Cross, an economist and former opposition lawmaker, said Zimbabwe faces a “perfect storm” because as the country is already in the middle of a multifaceted humanitarian crisis.

“I hate to say it but we are in for a rough time. Our wet season is almost over and we are sitting on about 450 millimetres – half our normal rainfall – here in Harare,” Cross said.

“We have had enough for our trees and grass but the rivers have not run as normal and our dams are about 60 per cent. It means livestock will struggle and our towns and cities are at risk of water shortages.”

He added that the country faces a shortage of water for the next planting seasons.

Cross said Zimbabwe’s economic frailties have left it at the mercy of the deadly virus that has already grounded tourism, the main source of revenue.

Loading...

Most companies have scaled down operations.

He said health care is already in a crisis and that the government has no money to turn the situation around.

“We have no defences. Our hospitals are moribund. We have very few ventilators, probably less than 200 intensive care unit beds in the country and our health workers have limited protective clothing,” Cross said.

“The extent of our problem was well illustrated by the death of a young journalist just days after being diagnosed with the virus.”

Zororo Makamba, a 30-year-old popular broadcaster, became Zimbabwe’s first recorded case of Covid-19 death early this week.

His family said the main centre designated to handle coronavirus cases had no oxygen and ventilators.

Zimbabwe has one of the highest HIV/Aids prevalence rates in the world, with an estimated 1.3 million people having the virus in 2017.

Aid agencies say more than eight million people – over half the country’s population – will need food aid this year after poor harvests due to droughts and collapsing agriculture.

Hilal Elver, the UN’s special rapporteur on the right to food, late last year said Zimbabwe was on the brink of a man-made starvation.

UN High Commission for Human Rights head Michelle Bachelet said Zimbabwe – alongside other countries facing Western sanctions like Venezuela, Iran and Cuba – need a reprieve to deal with coronavirus.

“These states have frail or weak health systems,” Bachelet said in a statement this week.

“Progress in upholding human rights is essential to improve those systems – but obstacles to the import of vital medical supplies, including over-compliance with sanctions by banks – will create long-lasting harm to vulnerable communities.”

Zimbabwe says its economy has been destroyed due to sanctions imposed on the country by the European Union, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand since 2002.

Information minister Monica Mutsvangwa said the country welcomes the call by the UN to lift sanctions on Zimbabwe.

“These powerful countries want to strangle Zimbabwe,” the minister said.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Covid-19 cases in Uganda jump from 18 to 23

Published

on

Loading...
DAILY MONITOR

By DAILY MONITOR
More by this Author

The number of people who have tested positive for coronavirus (Covid-19) in Uganda has jumped from 18 to 23.

Five people tested positive on Friday, the Health ministry said without giving details.

“Out of the 227 samples tested today (Friday), 222 tested negative for Covid-19 while 5 tested positive,” Health minister, Dr Jane Ruth Aceng, tweeted.

She told the public, “Please enhance guidelines and preventive measures. Together we can prevent spread of Covid-19.”

Health workers have reported that 14 patients at Entebbe Grade B, Mulago National Specialised and Adjumani General hospitals are in stable clinical condition and are feeding well.

Advertisement

The ministry is monitoring 1,184 people, 811 of these being under institutional quarantine and 373 under self-quarantine.

Loading...

Early this week, 1,517 high risk travellers completed their 14 days of follow up and were issued with certificates of completion of the mandatory quarantine.

President Yoweri Museveni said that given the new cases, there might be need for more drastic measures to curb [the] spread.

Via Twitter on Saturday, Press Secretary Don Wanyama said the President would announce these measures in due course.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Martha Karua condemns police brutality during curfew – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Narc Kenya party leader Martha Karua has condemned police brutality witnessed on the first day of implementation of government’s dusk to dawn curfew.

The former Gichugu legislator criticised the unwarranted brutality meted out on innocent Kenyans by police calling on the Inspector General of Police Hillary Mutyambai to rein in on his charges.

She decried how the police have turned fellow citizens into enemies instead of the coronavirus.

“As leaders, we should not forget that Kenyans are already too brutalised by an economy that is crashing (sic) the hopes and dreams of generations before yesterday’s violence.

“We must all stand in solidarity with one another, supporting each other and treating one another with dignity and respect, in adherence with the law in order to defeat our common enemy,” added Ms Karua.

The lawmaker called on the government, while implementing the curfew, to institute measures to rescue the vulnerable groups from hunger especially those who depend on the unstable daily jobs, the many jobless and those already made jobless by the current situation.

“In implementing the curfew or indeed any other measures to mitigate covid-19, the government must devote time to forward planning of the possible scenarios to avoid adverse effects on the already vulnerable members of the society,” she said.

She called on markets, which provide essential services, to be decongested and reopened even if it entails temporary relocated and provided with infrastructure for hygiene standards necessary.

Loading...

Ms Karua urged the government to come up with urgent short term plan to provide water and sanitation to informal settlements and a viable long term plan for housing for the vulnerable.

She pointed out that to be successful in the fight against coronavirus, water for handwashing must be accessible to all and to this end, the national government in conjunction with county governments should ensure that not only water is accessible to the vulnerable populations but also that as many public health facilities as possible have some minimal capacity to respond to the pandemic at their local level.

“We are aware and grateful that some counties have already instituted mitigation measures. We call upon the national government to urgently provide policy guidelines to harmonise such interventions across the country, ” she said.

The former Justice Minister implored the government in the short run to work with county governments to ensure each county is equipped with personnel and infrastructure to combat the coronavirus.

In addition to implementing universal health care and revamping public health facilities countrywide in the long run.

“It is also time to map and call out all health workers as a measure of preparedness,” said Ms Karua.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending