Connect with us

General

KAA announces closure of section of JKIA entrance » Capital News

Published

on

Loading...

President Kenyatta touring the modern car screening yard at the entrance of JKIA.

, NAIROBI, KENYA, Jan 17 – Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) has announced the temporary closure of a number of traffic lanes at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport’s main entrance.

In a statement dated Friday 17, KAA said, “In order to improve passenger experience at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA), Kenya Airports Authority wishes to notify the general public of the temporary closure of selected traffic lanes at the airport’s main entrance from Saturday 18th January, 2020.”

“This is to facilitate the installation of a new car park management system,” explained the statement.

“The closure has been scheduled during the off-peak hours of 0830HRS to 1300HRS and 2300HRS to 0430HRS so as to minimize the impact on airport operations,” said KAA.

Normal traffic flow is expected to resume by Thursday, 23rd January, 2020. KAA says that during this period, the airport’s Cargo Gate will remain open for 24 hours to ease traffic.

The authority has said it will work closely with the Kenya Airports Police Unit (KAPU) to assist with the management of traffic flow at the airport.

Motorists and passengers are advised to plan accordingly and allow extra time when coming to the airport as delays may be experienced.


Post Views:
18

Loading...

Newsletter subscription form Newsletter subscription form -->


Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

British PM Boris Johnson spends second night in intensive care

Published

on

Loading...
AFP

By AFP
More by this Author

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was spending a second night in intensive care battling the coronavirus which has infected more than 55,000 across the country and killed nearly 6,200.

“He stayed at work for you… now pray at home for him,” The Sun tabloid splashed across its front page Wednesday while the Daily Express said: “Boris ‘will pull through’.”

Deputising for Johnson, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said he was “confident he’ll pull through, because if there’s one thing I know about this prime minister, he’s a fighter and he’ll be back, leading us through this crisis in short order”.

In an update Tuesday evening, the prime minister’s spokesman said his “condition is stable and he remains in intensive care for close monitoring.”

He earlier said the 55-year-old Conservative leader was receiving “standard oxygen treatment and breathing without any other assistance” and had not required a ventilator.

Johnson is the most high-profile government leader to become infected with Covid-19 and messages of support flooded in from across Britain and the world.

Advertisement

He was admitted to intensive care on Monday evening after spending Sunday night in hospital following concerns he still had a cough and high temperature 10 days after being diagnosed with Covid-19.

His transfer to intensive care is unprecedented for a prime minister during a national emergency.

For many people, it brought home the seriousness of the disease that has so far seen 6,159 deaths in Britain, with a record 786 more reported in a daily update on Tuesday.

Despite the record daily death toll, there was more encouraging news with the number of new daily cases remaining at a roughly stable 3,643.

In a round of broadcast interviews, senior minister Michael Gove insisted the “work of government goes on”.

He later said he was now staying at home after a family member displayed mild coronavirus symptoms.

Raab chaired the daily coronavirus meeting in the prime minister’s place on Tuesday.

“There is a clear plan… the government and the cabinet are working together to implement that plan,” Johnson’s spokesman said when asked if there was a power vacuum in Britain.

The country does not have a formal constitutional role of deputy prime minister, and experts said Raab would need the support of the rest of the cabinet to make any big decisions.

The most pressing issue is a review expected next week on whether to continue the nationwide lockdown introduced on March 23 to try to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Loading...

Johnson announced on March 27 that he had coronavirus and went into self-isolation in a flat above his Downing Street office.

But on Monday evening he was moved to intensive care in London’s St Thomas’ hospital after his condition worsened.

The prime minister has received messages of support from around the world, with US President Donald Trump sending best wishes to his “very good friend” while Russian leader Vladimir Putin said Johnson’s “energy, optimism and sense of humour” would see him through.

For some, Johnson’s larger-than-life personality has made his hospitalisation all the more shocking.

His biographer Andrew Gimson said Johnson always made him feel upbeat, and “now here he is the stricken one”.

“This is an enormous shock, completely unfamiliar territory for all those who know him,” he told BBC radio.

Experts said it was not uncommon for coronavirus patients to move to intensive care, but said it showed Johnson’s condition was serious.

“There is no doubt this turn of events means Boris Johnson is extremely sick,” said Derek Hill, professor of medical imaging at University College London.

The British government was criticised for initially refusing to follow other European countries in requiring people to stay home as the virus spread rapidly across the globe.

Johnson himself said in early March that he was still shaking hands with people.

Two weeks ago, he ordered a nationwide lockdown, but parliament continued to sit for several days after and Westminster became a hotspot for the virus.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock and the heir to the throne, Prince Charles, have both been infected, although they have since recovered.

Johnson, who has been prime minister only since July last year, is not known to have any underlying health issues, although he has struggled with his weight.

Johnson’s pregnant partner, Carrie Symonds, moved out of Downing Street after some staff fell ill.

But she said on Saturday she had just spent a week in bed with symptoms, although she has not been tested.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Virus fears: Mozambique frees 5,000 inmates

Published

on

Loading...
ARNALDO VIEIRA

By ARNALDO VIEIRA
More by this Author

MAPUTO. Authorities in Mozambique have freed more than 5,000 inmates as coronavirus fears grow in the Southern Africa country.

Parliament on Monday passed an amnesty law on sentences affecting 5,032 local and foreign nationals to reduce congestion and curb the spread of Covid-19.

The law will benefit inmates who had sentences of up to one year.

So far, Mozambique has confirmed 10 coronavirus cases. None of those were reported in its congested prisons though, but officials said they were taking precautions.

“Mozambique jails, which have five times more than its real 4,498 capacity, are overcrowded and this would be risky for the pandemic spread,” Minister for Justice, Religious and Constitutional Matters Helena Kida said.

Advertisement

Last week, Mozambique President Filipe Nyusi declared a countrywide state of emergency effective April 1 to 30 in a bid to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Mr Nyusi justified the measures citing the need to protect all people’s lives.

Loading...

The southern African country also suspended the issuance of visas with effect from March 23 and shut all education institutions as preventive measure.

In March 22, Mozambique confirmed its first positive case of Covid-19.

Gatherings of more than 50 people are also prohibited according to the presidential decree.

Following an attack at Mocimboa da Praia Quissanga villages, Cabo Delgado, tens of displaced families are fleeing to the provincial capital Pemba seeking security.

Cabo Delgado, which is about 1,663 kilometres north of Maputo, boasts minerals such as gold, grenadines, aquamarines, tourmalines, blue topaz and green tourmalines and attracts many foreigners.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Uhuru faces litmus test as Covid-19 burden sits heavily on his shoulders

Published

on

Loading...
JOHN KAMAU

By JOHN KAMAU
More by this Author

President Uhuru Kenyatta is facing a litmus test of his leadership mettle and, now more than ever, the burden on his shoulders is heavy to bear.

Elsewhere, Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i was on Egesa FM expounding on the measures. Some Kenyans questioned why the President had gone to a vernacular radio station.

“This is deliberate and it is part of a strategy to reach to the communities through the media. There will be more leaders sent to their respective vernacular stations and our intention is to create awareness first,” State House spokesperson Kanze Dena-Mararo told the Nation. “CS Matiangi was on Egesa FM and many will follow.”

Nairobi has emerged as the epicentre of the coronavirus spread in the country and a survey published this week showed that most Kenyans were in favour of a lockdown — a measure of last resort.

But in a city of more than four million at night and more than five million during the day, the government has been left with the headache of whether to merely restrict movement or to go for a total lockdown.

Advertisement

“We have to stop the spread of this virus to other counties,” said the President in the question-and-answer session. The President was angry that some leaders had endangered the lives of many people. He revealed that he had ordered the arrest of Kilifi Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi after he refused to isolate himself for 14 days following his return from a trip to Germany.

Mr Saburi has already been arrested and taken to court.

 “I’m the one who said that the Kilifi deputy governor should be arrested … I wish he gets 10 years in prison to serve as a lesson for his negligence,” he said.

The new rules gazetted by the government have set the jail term at no more than three years or a fine of up to Sh50,000.

Loading...

“How can a leader fly from Germany and start infecting people in Nairobi and Kilifi?” the President wondered, adding that his position of power would not insulate him from the consequences of his actions.

His comments came a day after Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji petitioned to have Mr Saburi held at the Manyani Maximum Security Prison as police complete their investigations.

Mr Saburi argued before Senior Resident Magistrate Ritah Amwayi that there was no medical report indicating that he had tested positive for Covid-19. He also claimed that he did not infect anyone with the virus.

The President also revealed that the hospital bills incurred by people who get infected in the course of their duties will be footed by the government.

This was after it emerged that some nurses could have been infected within hospitals and while handling patients.

Mr Kenyatta also noted that people coming to Nairobi to seek medical treatment should not be punished but instead be assisted.

“The people we are stopping are those entering the metropolis without a genuine reason,” he said. On the elderly, Mr Kenyatta said the State is starting a programme that will ensure that they do not suffer.

“I have instructed chiefs to get names of all those who have not been receiving money,” he said. In the new rules, transporters and traders in farm produce have been given a free pass into Nairobi, which relies on food and vegetables from the outlying counties.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending