Connect with us

General

Kenya reports first coronavirus death : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

An isolation bed at Mbagathi Hospital, Nairobi. Kenya lost its first patient to coronavirus (Covid-19) today. [Elvis Ogina, Standard]

Coronavirus on Thursday claimed its first victim in Kenya as the national tally of confirmed cases stood at 31.

The patient was a 66-year-old Kenyan male who had a long-term medical condition, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said.
He died this afternoon at an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in Agakhan Hospital where had been admitted.
“The man who was suffering from diabetes arrived in the country on March 13, 2020, from South Africa via Swaziland,” Kagwe said in a statement.
SEE ALSO :China virus cases spike, 17 new infections reportedThe news, which CS Kagwe described as sad, comes barely hours after Kenya announced her first recovery from the highly-contagious virus.
The recovery was of a 27-year-old won who tested positive to the virus on March 13. Codenamed patient zero, for being the first recorded case in Kenya, her recovery gave the country a much-awaited hope against the pandemic.
Earlier today, Kenya confirmed three more cases of the virus to add to yesterday’s tally of 28.
For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.   Read Now »
Health Chief Administrative Secretary Mercy Mwangangi said the latest cases were all female Kenyans and close contacts of previous reported cases.
She said two of the cases were from Kilifi County while the other was from Nairobi.
SEE ALSO :China confirms virus spreading between humans”In the last 24 hours, we sent 74 samples to be tested in health facilities. Three of those turned out positive,” CAS Mwangangi said in a press briefing.
The three have been taken into isolation.  
Mwangangi said that the government was tracing about 1,029 persons who came into contact with the infected.
Since the first case was confirmed, 123 people have been discharged after completing the required 14-day quarantine period.
Eighteen patients are admitted at Mbagathi Hospital in Nairobi.
SEE ALSO :Factbox: What we know about the new coronavirus spreading in China and beyond”We urge people to strictly observe social distancing especially in areas emerging as hotspots such as Kilifi,” Dr Mwangangi warned.
The CAS also said that the government had placed more than 2,000 people who arrived in the country this week on mandatory quarantine and that they shall be tested in due time.
“In the event that some countries would like to evacuate their citizens from Kenya, this will be handled through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.”

Loading...

Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.

Related Topics
CoronavirusCoronavirus In KenyaHillary Orinde

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

President Uhuru apologises to Kenyans for police brutality : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

Police officers beat motorists at Nakuru KFA roundabout while enforcing the night curfew. (Kipsang Joseph, Standard)
President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday apologised to Kenyans following reports of police brutality as they implemented the dusk to dawn curfew in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19.

“I want to apologise to all Kenyans, maybe for some excesses which were conducted or happened,” Uhuru said during a virtual meeting with recovered coronavirus patients, Brenda and Brian.
Brenda was Kenya’s first coronavirus patient.
She first arrived in Texas, USA on December 19, 2019, then proceeded to Cleveland, Ohio, finally making a stop in London, United Kingdom.
SEE ALSO :After Uhuru decision on housing, state must listen to people moreThe patient was quarantined at Mbagathi Hospital for 23 days, recording Kenya’s first recovery from the disease.
During the meeting, President Uhuru reiterated on the need for social distancing and observation of the guidelines laid out by the Ministry of Health in the fight against the pandemic.
He urged Kenyans to understand the gravity of the global pandemic insisting that that the measures introduced by the government were necessary to curb its spread.
STEALING FROM THE SICK: Why hospitals are healthy wards for criminals – The Nairobian   Read Now »

Loading...

Kenya started enforcing a dusk to dawn curfew just days after the country recorded its first coronavirus-related death.
The curfew was announced on March 25 for an unspecified period.
SEE ALSO :The wars in Uhuru and Raila political partiesIt, however, got off on the wrong footing, with police officers across the country reportedly using excessive force, beating and tear-gassing crowds of people on their way home from work.
At least three people have reportedly been killed by police action, including a 13-year-old boy who was hit by a stray bullet on Monday evening.
Kenya has reported 59 confirmed cases of Covid-19 since its outbreak in the city of Wuhan, China and one death.

Are you suspecting that you have coronavirus? Before you rush to the hospital, do this quick easy self-assessment test. #StayHome #WashYourHands HERE.

Related Topics
President Uhuru KenyattaPolice BrutalityCoronavirus

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

3 COVID-19 patients recover as Kenya records highest single-day increase in cases » Capital News

Published

on

Loading...

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 1 – Kenya has registered three COVID-19 recoveries, after the first and third patients fully recovered from the virus.

The first recovery was announced by President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday, March 25.

The
two other patients, Brenda Cherotich and Brian Orinda, appeared publicly on Wednesday
during a live video conference with President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said the two had been cleared to rejoin their families

“The
president announced earlier today that Brenda and Brian had turned negative on
two tests. They tested negative after being tested twice over a period of time
not on the same day. We are very pleased that they are now back home with their
families,” Kagwe said.

Brenda
had travelled to the United States of America in December last year, and came
back on March 5 via London.

She has been in quarantine for 23 days while Brian has been in the health facility for 2 weeks after contracting the virus from Brenda.

“I went to the US on December 19 and when I finished my stay I travelled to Cleveland and then to Chicago where I had a 10-hour layover. I then went to London and this is where I think I may have contracted the virus or on the plane while coming back home,” said Brenda.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

She added that three days after arriving in the country, she had a persistent cough and after observing her body for 3 days, she decided to visit Mbagathi Hospital.

“At
the facility they took me seriously and gave me a mask immediately I told them
I had travelled from outside the country. I want to assure Kenyans that this
disease is manageable and treatable,” she said.

Brian who contracted the virus after coming into close contact with Brenda said he had been in the hospital for the last two weeks.

Loading...

He
urged people to be careful and follow the guidelines set aside by the government
to ensure containment of the coronavirus.

“I
am glad that I am sharing my story and I hope people can now believe that
indeed the virus is real, and it is in Kenya. Many people in upcountry still do
not believe it. My aunt called me and told me that since I had contracted it,
she now believes its existence,” said Brian.

President Uhuru Kenyatta commended Brenda and Brian for helping in contact tracing and being responsible after they realized they had COVID-19 symptoms.

He
urged Kenyans to follow the example set by the two former coronavirus patients to
protect their loved ones, especially the elderly and people with
preexisting conditions, from contracting the virus.

“If
we were able to follow Brenda and Brian’s example, we can contain this disease.
As the two young people are showing us, we can not only contain this disease,
 but we can also treat it and get out of it. So, for all of us who are out
there with the symptoms, let us behave like these two brave and patriotic
Kenyans,” Kenyatta appealed.

The country has so far
recorded 81 COVID-19 cases after Kagwe announced 22 new cases.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

One patient, a
66-year-old who died while undergoing treatment, was diabetic.

The global pandemic has claimed
over 43,000 lives and infected over 800,000 others globally.

However, 184,596 people
have recovered.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Kenya’s Covid-19 cases rise to 81 as 22 test positive

Published

on

Loading...
DAILY NATION

By DAILY NATION
More by this Author

Kenya has confirmed 22 more coronavirus cases bringing the national total to 81.

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said 13 of the new patients are male and nine are female.

Loading...

The patients include 18 Kenyans, two Pakistani and two Cameroonian citizens, CS Kagwe said Wednesday afternoon during the daily coronavirus briefing.

The Health minister further said that 21 of the new cases were in quarantine.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending