Connect with us

Entertainment

Kosovo declares Nobel laureate Handke ‘persona non grata’ [ARTICLE]

Published

on

Loading...

The Swedish Academy’s pick for the 2019 prize, which Handke received on Tuesday, offended many in the Balkans who see him as an apologist for Serb war crimes during the conflicts that fractured former Yugoslavia.

One Nobel committee member resigned over the choice, while the ceremony was boycotted by representatives of the embassies of Albania, Bosnia, Croatia, Kosovo, North Macedonia and Turkey.

“Today I have decided to declare Peter Handke as not welcome in Kosovo. He is a non-grata person from today. Denying crimes and supporting criminals is a terrible crime,” Kosovo’s Foreign Minister Behgjet Pacolli wrote on Facebook.

Handke has drawn especially acute criticism for speaking at the funeral of late Serbian strongman Slobodan Milosevic, who died in 2006 while on trial for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Kosovo’s ethnic Albanian-majority fought Belgrade for independence in a 1998-99 war that claimed 13,000 lives.

But he was a frequent guest in the tiny Serb enclave of Velika Hoca, one of several small ethnic Serb communities that are scattered around the former Serbian province.

Handke visited Velika Hoca at least five times, most recently in 2014, and donated nearly 100,000 euros to the village of 500 people.

He was also formally barred on Wednesday from Bosnia’s capital Sarajevo, where the regional government said his appearance would “provoke the anger and humiliation” of war victims.

Loading...

Handke’s elevation to Nobel laureate has been painful for many Bosnian Muslims, as he is accused of questioning the Srebrenica massacre, in which Bosnian Serbs slaughtered 8,000 Muslim men and boys in 1995.

In 1997 Handke was accused of minimising Serb war crimes in his book “A Journey to the Rivers: Justice for Serbia”.

But he is still welcome to visit the Serb-run region that spans nearly half of Bosnia’s territory — a legacy of the war that left the country carved up along ethnic lines.

On Tuesday Handke told a TV channel in Bosnia’s Serb-run region that he would like to visit “in the spring”.

Among his Serb fans, Handke is celebrated for taking note of their suffering during the conflicts and challenging the narrative that Serbs were the sole aggressors in the wars.

In Belgrade, one MP proposed creating a human rights prize in Handke’s name on Wednesday.

burs-ssm/klm

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Rihanna and billionaire boyfriend Hassan Jameel rumored to have split

Published

on

Loading...

It could be good news to some of Rihanna’s fans or bad news to others. She is reportedly a single girl.

She has been dating Saudi Arabain billionaire Hassan Jameel for three years, and seems like just like every good thing, it has come to an end.

Rihanna and Jameel kept their relationship on the low until paparazzi took photos of them getting a bit cozy, and that is how it became public.

In an interview last year, she was asked if she was in love to which she loudly responded ‘Of course’. That is when rumors that she was pregnant with Jameel’s baby started sprouting.

Rihanna/ Instagram

Of course, wedding plans is always a question that’s asked in every interview Rihanna does. What’s her answer?

“Only God knows that, girl. We plan and God laughs, right?, ‘I don’t think about stuff like that. But, I don’t know … God’s plan.”

Loading...

After the rumors of their split went viral, her fans are now positive she will finally release the album she has been teasing for the better part of 2019.

Is she pregnant? Fans are convinced Rihanna could be expecting

There is no reason as yet of the breakup, and when we find out, keep it Kiss 100 because we will have the details.

I love me a good love story but only Rihanna and Jameel know why it had to end. They were so cute together though.

Read more here.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Show down looms in Western Kenya over planned BBI meeting

Published

on

Loading...

KBC-survey-feedback-poster

A show down is looming in Western Kenya following a planned parallel meeting from the second building bridges to unity consultative forum.

A section of Luhya leaders have vowed to boycott the planned Bukhungu stadium meeting presided over by former Prime Minister Raila Odinga and hold a separate rally at Bumani grounds in Mumias.

Leaders supporting the second phase of the BBI taskforce are at the Bukhungu stadium in Kakamega for a second regional forum aimed at fine tuning the current report of the taskforce.

Police have warned the leaders against holding the meeting with a permit.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

In as much as the two groups support the BBI process, the bone of contention has been the implementation criteria of the report, with questions abound why public resources would be further be used to seek more views over a matter leaders say has already being canvassed by the previous taskforce.

Loading...

Two building bridges initiative meetings are currently on course in the Western Kenya as two factions from the Luhya nation engage in a show of might.

At the Bukhungu stadium in Kakamega the second regional meeting expected to be presided over by former Prime Minister Raila Odinga is underway.

At the same time another meeting convened by leaders who want the BBI implemented without further ado is expected to take  place at the Bumani grounds in Mumias, in what has now appears to have divided the Luhya leadership right at the middle.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘Bahati is mistreating my son because we are poor’

Published

on

Loading...

Mother to EMB artiste Peter Blessings has exposed the hardships the 20-year-old has been going through in the hands of Bahati.

The artist, who hails from Taita Taveta, was ”adopted” by Bahati who promised to sign him under EMB which he did but not for long.

He also promised to help educate, something he never did.

Speaking to mpasho on phone, Blessings mum said

‘ My son does not owe Bahati 2 million. they are only taking advantage because they feel he is poor and has nowhere else to go.

In-fact they are the ones who have been enriched by Peter through his music.’

Blessings mum said that despite her son performing on New Years Eve, he was never paid

‘On 31st my son performed and he was to be paid 50,000 but he was not paid despite performing.

But some of the other artists who performed were paid some cash (not sure of the amount)

I can only plead with him to please bring back our son the same way he picked him.’

Loading...

Asked if she knew the reason why Bahati had her son arrested, she said

‘Apparently, Bahati said he heard that Peter was talking about exiting EMB.

My question is if indeed he heard that, why did he not sit him down and ask him why he wanted to leave?

People will even wonder why Bahati is doing this’

The mistake he did is getting my son arrested he would rather have brought him home.

Adding

‘There is a guy called Weezdom whom Bahati listens to too much 

When Bahati promised to help my son, I handed him to them. but now I do not know what exactly is happening.

They would have called and told me what happened.’

Producer Paulo, who was arrested alongside Peter Blessings, was released but the young artiste is still a guest of the state.

Below is the entire interview

Read more

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending