Connect with us

General

Labour court kicks out Mary Wambui : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

The Labour Court has nullified the appointment of former Othaya MP Mary Wambui (pictured) as chairperson of the National Employment Authority (NEA) board.
Justice Onesmus Makau yesterday said Wambui was unqualified and dismissed her appointment as irregular and unconstitutional as she does not meet the qualifications for the position.
The court quashed the Gazette notice on the appointment, with Justice Makau saying the authority needs a person with academic expertise.
SEE ALSO :Kenyans mock ex-MP Mary Wambui’s appointment”Her appointment to the board does not meet the constitutional requirements; it is therefore null and void. The Gazette notice is quashed. It is unlawful. A permanent injunction is issued barring her from being appointed to the post,” ruled the judge.
The case was filed by Kenya Young Parliamentarians Association, a lobby headed by Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja.
According to the lobby, the former MP had severally admitted that she had limited education background.
For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.   Subscribe Now »
Section 10(2) of the National Employment Authority Act provides that a person shall be qualified to serve as the chairperson of the board if they have at least seven years’ experience in Human Resource Management or its equivalent.
However, there is no age limit.
SEE ALSO :A country of old peopleThe court heard that she did not have academic and professional qualifications to allow her run the office.
In a Gazette notice dated October 14, 2019, then Labour CS Ukur Yatani picked Wambui for the job, triggering an outcry from Kenyans.
Following the appointment, Wambui was expected to lead a team that will create job centres in all constituencies where youths would register, detailing their skills.
The authority is also expected to be a link between employers and potential employees by posting available vacancies on social media. 

Loading...

Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.

Related Topics
Mary WambuiNational Employment Authority

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Kenya: MPs Drop Plans for Special Sitting Over Coronavirus Fears

Published

on

Loading...

A special sitting of MPs was cancelled indefinitely due to fears of mass coronavirus infections among them and a warning from the Ministry of Health, the Nation has learnt.

Sources at Parliament Buildings told the Nation that the ministry warned that it would have been reckless for MPs to carry on with the sitting scheduled for Tuesday before release of the results of all the 50 members who were tested.

Tracking coronavirus

Unconfirmed information from multiple sources within Parliament indicated that at least 17 out of the 50 MPs tested so far are positive.

But the National Assembly’s leaders, including Speaker Justin Muturi, dismissed this report as fake news.

“It is not true,” Mr Muturi told the Nation. “Results are given to individual members.”

REACTIONS

Clerk Michael Sialai said he was “not aware” of the alleged 17 cases.

“No. I have no such report. Testing was voluntary and results were given to individual members,” he said.

Majority Leader Aden Duale also denied the report.

“I’m not aware. I think it’s a sensational story,” he said.

The alleged 17 cases were not captured in Tuesday’s briefing by Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe, who announced 14 new cases.

HEALTH REVIEW

A bulk SMS that the clerk sent on Monday said the sitting was cancelled due to a review of health and safety arrangements related to reassurance of the health of MPs and staff while within Parliament precincts.