Connect with us

Politics

Nepotism at Busia county exposed – Weekly Citizen

Published

on

Loading...

A syndicate in which the Busia county chief officer has been colluding with the chairman of the county public service board in order to employ his own relatives illegally has been laid bare and exposed.
Reliable sources revealed that the chief officer for county lands, housing and urban development Maurice Odundo is the person alleged to be behind the syndicate following job vacancies which were carried in Standard newspaper issue February 13 2019.
Further reports indicate that Odundo has been camping in Kisumu town for one week with the public service board chairperson Assumpta Obore trying to manipulate her over the issue using taxpayers’ money illegally.
Investigations carried out by Weekly Citizen established that the wife of the chief officer Rose Wanyonyi has been employed as the community development officer while his cousin David Okello is supposed to fill the deputy municipality manager’s slot.
It was disclosed that a niece of the chief officer Margaret Riziki has been shortlisted under revenue and administrative officer 111 while two other relatives Alice Egesa has been fixed in the position of revenue officer being the wife of Maende.
The chief officer who is also member of the Busia municipal board is alleged to have forwarded the name of Law Society of Kenya representative Patrick Wangalwa to become the board’s chair despite his qualifications having been doubted by the Busia county assembly.
The ill underground motive of the chief officer and the public service board has agitated the residents because the Busia municipal board was approved recently by the Busia county assembly and even its members have not been even sworn in.

Loading...

CEO EACC Twalib Mbarak

However, Weekly Citizen learnt that the chief officers main target was to employ his relatives in order to swindle funds which was set aside to uplift the face if Busia town secretly without any suspicion.
Wangalwa lives in Nairobi and is alleged to be lacking the required qualifications and experience to enable him to become the board chair according to the law.
Residents accused the chief officer for allegedly trying to sabotage Busia governor Sospeter Ojaamong’s efforts to leave behind a legacy when he completes his two terms leadership.
People who were interviewed said that Governor Ojaamong should his powers to fire officers who have been sabotaging his government by recruiting incompetent persons without having the required qualifications citing the previous board which was unable to deliver effectively.
They called on Ethics and Ant-Corruption Commission to investigate the alleged syndicate process of recruiting staffs for various positions so that corrupt officers can be apprehended and prosecuted.
The chief officer served in the defunct management of Busia town for several years but he has nothing to boast of so far.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Politics

Row simmering at Nyamira county assembly – Weekly Citizen

Published

on

Loading...

A row is simmering at the Nyamira county assembly after MCAs allied to Nasa ousted their majority leader Duke Oyagi last week.

In a swift move that was endorsed by 11 MCAs out of the 21 required for the removal of leader of executive business in the assembly, the ward reps cited dishonesty and abuse of his office as major misdoings that prompted the removal.

As the new year dawned in Nyamira, the Nasa MCAs were busy laying course for the impeachment of Oyagi whom they replaced with Nyamaiya MCA Raban Masira who was also serving on the seat during the previous house.

They said the ousted leader was busy promoting his self-interests at the expense of his colleagues.

Among the accusations are claims that he used the name of MCAs to solicit unspecified amounts of cash from both the county executive and national government officials, monies which they were never given.

They also accused him of not sharing monies that were given to him on behalf of all the 35 ward reps for official functions to Bomet and Mombasa counties on separate occasions.

They also accused him of deliberately delaying the processes of vetting chief officers who were nominated by executive.

“We need a house leadership of integrity and honesty. We have tried to put up with the misdoings which have prompted our action but its not proper for an assembly of laws and order to tolerate such misdoings,” Kiabonyoru MCA Duke Omoti said.

In a letter dated January 2 2020 and addressed to speaker Moffat Teya and signed by deputy majority whip Lilian Nyamweya, the MCAs wrote: “We notify your office as Nasa coalition that changes have been made in the office of leader of majority. We hereby reference to outgoing Duke Oyagi and incoming Raban Masira as our new leader of majority. Kindly make necessary arrangements to this effect to enhance on service delivery for the party and for the Nyamira county citizens.”

However, Oyagi said he had no knowledge of the letter which already has been received by the offices of the speaker and that of the assembly clerk.

“Any business concerning the assembly and its leadership can only be valid while the house is on session and the matters communicated by the speaker. But so far, I am not aware of any communication and I am treating anything of the sort as rumour,” Oyagi said.

Loading...

Outgoing Majority leader Duke Masira (left), his Bogichora Ward counterpart George Morara and the new majority leader who is Nyamaiya Ward MCA Raban Masira recently vetting County Chief Officers.

Oyagi vehemently denied all accusation which the MCAs were leveling on him and accused them of blackmail.

Such was the standoff that saw Omoti ousted from the seat of deputy speaker and replaced by Robinson Mocheche (Bonyamatuta).

In another turn of events Nyamira county assembly majority chief whip Alfayo Ngeresa has dismissed the purported meeting of members of the county assembly which ousted the leader of the majority.

Ngeresa retaliated that as the chief whip, he was the one entitled to make any communication to the speaker pertaining any meeting meant to bring changes in the majority leader’s office and therefore the communications which was done by his deputy Lilian Nyamweya to the speaker and the clerks office were null and void.

The MCAs are fighting over bribes which they are given by the county executive committee members in a bid to protect them.

Weekly Citizen has also established that the MCAs three weeks ago failed to pass the supplementary budget because the county executive had refused to give in to their demand of Sh10m before passing the budget

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Politics

New political wave hits Jomvu constituency – Weekly Citizen

Published

on

Loading...

As the clock ticks towards 2022 general elections, aspirants eyeing Jomvu parliamentary seat have hit the ground with campaigns aimed at endearing themselves to voters as part of their efforts to unseat the incumbent Badi Twalib.
Badi who is doing his second term continues to have frosty relations with senior and powerful politicians in the port city including Mombasa governor Hassan Joho due to his involvement with the tanga tanga political wing associated with William Ruto.

Joho

Governor Joho who bears overbearing influence on Mombasa county politics has declared total war on the MP, warning that he will not recapture his seat again after betraying his ODM party.
Among those angling to replace Badi in Jomvu includes Kilindini Knut executive secretary Dan Aloo who has already declared interest to vie for the seat come 2022 polls. He contested for the seat as an independent candidate in the last general elections and lost to Badi.
The teacher is said to be having a strong political influence on residents in the constituency.
Aloo is also claimed to be enjoying backing from allies of ODM leader Raila Odinga and Uhuru Kenyatta, who see him as the best alter.
The Knut official has in the recent past been spreading his political wings across the constituency in what many see as his attempts to outbalance Badi’s influence and be able to use the handshake to build a political base ahead of 2022 general elections.

Loading...

Badi

He is said to be capitalising on Badi’s failures to portray himself as the solution to various problems facing residents including the volatile land ownership and lack of piped water. He has organised several demos against cartels in the water supply chain fleecing the constituents.
Jomvu which was hived off the larger Changamwe constituency before the 2013 polls has many unresolved land disputes in the 32 settlement schemes that include Aldina, Kibarani, Ganahola and Maganda. The constituency is home to Bangladesh – the largest informal settlement in Mombasa.
Thousands of residents have also been displaced by heavy transport companies, which have built Container Freight Stations, motor vehicle garages and storage yards without compensating them. Aloo has vowed to ensure those displaced are compensated for their land.
The land on both sides of the Mombasa-Nairobi highway from Jomvu Madafuni, Mwamlai in the South West, Kwa Punda and North East, all the way past Mikanjuni, Zaire, Jomvu Primary School to Mbuyu wa Chapa in Jomvu Kuu, is said to be owned by a few tycoons.
Aloo is using his elaborate network to propel development initiatives like ‘Watoto Wote Shuleni Whatsapp Foundation’ that has seen him work together with the ministry of Education and wellwishers to support children in the constituency to easily and affordably access education since 2018.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Politics

Maseno High School principal on the spotlight – Weekly Citizen

Published

on

Loading...

Concerns have been raised over allegations that Maseno High School principal has secretly increased school fees against the government guidelines.
The troubled principal is seen to be courting trouble with the no-nonsense Education CS George Magoha following claims of dirty tricks employed to increase school fees at the old school.
According to multiple sources the school, principal Andrew Buop recently convened a parents’ day meeting that left tongues wagging after the occasion was turned into a platform to hike school.
Buop who is fighting a tainted past following his style of leadership was the architect of a plan that may likely put him under the scrutiny of the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission and the ministry of Education.

EACC boss Twalib Mbarak

To make it appear as if the decision was a brainchild of the parents themselves, those in the know said that the principal hosted some parents perceived to be influential and communicated to them his agenda prior to the meeting day.
The said parents, ostensibly on his payroll strategically positioned themselves in every corner and their work was to maddeningly shout in support to the principal proposal for higher fees.
Despite warnings from CS Magoha against principals increasing school fees ahead of opening, sources told Weekly Citizen that Buop managed to outsmart innocent parents by approving additional fees, now haunting him.
Speaking at Kenyatta University where Equity Group was unveiling this year’s Wings to Fly scholarship beneficiaries, the CS told principals to adhere to the fee guidelines as indicated by the ministry adding those who violate the directive will face consequences.
Buop denied the allegations and in an SMS to this writer stated that the school only charges authorised amount and those complaining should challenge by proof if they use a different fee structure from that provided by the ministry of Education.

Loading...

CS Magoha

It is a common knowledge that principals across the country have devised clever ways to increase fees after the government issued a standard package.
The government recommended fees is Sh53,554 but some crooked principals have blatantly defied the orders and devised ways to increase fees adding more burden to parents.
One of the tricks being used to swindle parents of their hardearned cash is through publishing fees structure for one term as opposed to the whole year, which is the requirement by the government.
For Maseno High School a section of parents are concerned following what appears to be a back to back negative news since Buop controversially joined the school from Homa Bay High school.
In 2017, Maseno school board of management grudgingly resigned following the replacement of former principal Paul Otula by Buop.
The board made up of 10 members, expressed disregard for the newly-recruited principal claiming he had a tainted past.
Otula was sent on a compulsory leave after a Form One student was allegedly sodomised by students.
This caused Maseno students to boycott classes demanding Otula be reinstated.
Board chairman Carey Orege said investigations over the sodomy claims were carried out in a crude manner

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending