Connect with us

Entertainment

President imposes curfew from 7am to 5am from Friday

Published

on

Loading...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has Wednesday imposed a countrywide curfew of between 7pm and 5am effective Friday, March 27.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

The curfew has been put in place as part of measures to stem the spread of the coronavirus in the country.

The only persons who will be exempted from the curfew are medical professionals, health workers, critical and essential services providers.

 

Loading...

The Head of State further declared with immediate effect, the management of the Kenya Ferry Services will be undertaken by the National Police Service, the Coast Guard and the National Government Administration Officers (NGAO).

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

President Kenyatta said the new measures had been sanctioned by the National Security Council through Public Order Number 1 on the Coronavirus Pandemic.

“….these measures will slow the spread and ease the effects of Coronavirus in our Nation.”

The Head of State also urged Kenyans to honour the hard work and sacrifice of our medical practitioners, health workers, critical and essential services providers and the government as a whole by reducing movement and congregating in large groups.

The Cabinet calendar, its committees and key State Agencies have been re-organised so as to apply a whole-of-government approach to the virus and to foster responses to the same.

“….further coordination and collaboration with county governments in addition to the establishment of sectoral working groups to more effectively and expeditiously implement action-points have been introduced.”

The President said the measures are meant to ensure the disease that has killed more than 19,000 people across the world does not wreak more havoc in the country.

He urged Kenyans to continue observing the laid out precautionary measures which include washing hands using water and soap, use of sanitizers and social distancing.

“Social distancing is now our new norm, it is our new way of life,” the President pointed out.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

COVID-19: Essential services that are exposing you to the virus

Published

on

Loading...
Salons and barbers have established strict rules for their clients to avoid contracting the disease (Shutterstock)

Kenyans are sitting on a time bomb unless some weak links in the fight against coronavirus are quickly fixed.

ALSO READ: Hygiene practices to teach your kids

The difficult fight against the virus is made more complicated and riskier within the crowded jails, where hand-washing with soap and exercising social distancing in the relatively small blocks and cells are still a mirage and may cost the country dearly. 

Breeding grounds

An estimated 1.3 million boda boda riders have decided to cast away the helmets meant for their passengers for fear of spreading the coronavirus.

The boda boda operators said they are torn between risking infecting their customers by offering them unsanitised helmets or breaking the traffic law which insists that every passenger must wear the protective gear. “There is no way we can sanitise a helmet,” Kenneth Onyango, the secretary general of the Boda Boda Association of Kenya explained.

The alternative, Onyango said, was for regular boda boda customers to buy their own helmets.

Boda boda and tuk tuks are some of the places you risk contracting the virus

Meanwhile, some salons and barbers have established strict rules for their clients to avoid contracting the disease.

Mobile money

ALSO READ: My word: Can history help us through uncertain times?

“I am only dealing with clients I know. I live in an area where there have been fears of coronavirus,” Mirriam Muthoni said.

The beautician who runs a salon in Utawala, Nairobi, now insists to be paid through mobile money transfer.

When a client insists on paying cash, she has resorted to using methylated spirit to sanitise the paper currency before touching with her gloved hands.

Loading...

And while the government has directed that the tuku tuk public service operators carry only one passenger, a spot check in parts of the city and it’s environs has shown that the interior of this vehicle had no adequate space to actualise social distancing.

Kenneth Ogoi, who operates in Athi River, said while he is uncomfortable with his clients breathing down his neck, there is nothing he can do.

“I am not comfortable with the space inside a tuk tuk in these times of the coronavirus. But at the end of the day, I must earn a living,” he said.

But even as Kenyans scramble for alcohol-based sanitisers to keep the virus at bay, Dr Susan Kaguchia told listeners in a vernacular radio station to be extremely careful not to apply them in their kitchens.

ALSO READ: Creative ways to stay in touch with friends during social distancing

Most sanitisers in the market, Kaguchia said, are highly explosive and could easily catch flames if applied near a fire.

For More of This Stories Subscribe to the Standard Epaper to get a copy of Eve Woman in the Standard

Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Eve Digital Telegram channel HERE.

The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Evewoman.co.ke

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘Shame on you!’ Redsan calls out newspaper for claiming he is a poor performer

Published

on

Loading...

Redsan is angry guys. He got a hold of a local publication that listed him as a poor and a boring performer on stage.

I do not know why someone would try that after what we say the last time someone came at him. The phrase ‘Soja, tunavamiwa’ came after he threw blows at a producer. Read all about it below:

Woiii, soldier come and help us! Begs producer as Redsan attacks them with blows

Today, Redsan is calling out the local publication is not so kind words. The publication mentioned his name among other artistes like Bahati and Ben Cyco saying they are poor performers.

“His presence on stage over the years has been quite wanting, to say the least. His performances are marked with some rather obvious routine. On stage he will teach a few dance styles that had been witnessed in all his previous concerts and worse he has zero connection with the crowd” Wrote PD

He took to social media with a long post blasting the writer saying,

These guys at people daily newspaper😂😂😂😂😂😂 ata sijui nani ame nipa hii gazeti, SHAME ON YOU– SHAME ON YOU! I don’t know who you hire as your journalists. Clearly they are not very intelligent. And what is worse is we as performing artists have been saying this for years, it IS THESE KINDS OF FOLK WHO KEEP KILLING CAREERS AND DESTROYING TALENTS IN THIS COUNTRY all in the name of a paycheque at the end of the month

Redsan went on saying that it is just a bitter journalist who was denied a complimentary ticket in a certain event and this is their form of releasing the rage.

Loading...

“What gives you the right to print such nonsense? Huyu lazima tuli mnyima tiko ya saree kwa show flani aka ona wacha aende andike ufala. Just to refresh your sleeping idle mind next time do a better job and proper research before you print anything about the music industry in Kenya. Most of all about REDSAN. TO THE JOURNALIST WHO WROTE THIS FOOLISHNESS SCROLL LEFT. TUTAZIDI KUPANDA NAYO. #pandanayo #dancehallbaba #king #baddest #redsan” Redsan ended his rant

Nadia Mukami, Nazizi and Gengetone artistes were not left behind in this shaming list. If you have attended any concert with these artistes, what are your sentiments on the list?

Read more here.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Kenyan man dies from coronavirus in Massachusetts, USA

Published

on

Loading...
Kenyan man living in Massachusetts dies of coronavirus.

A Kenyan man living in Massachusetts has passed away due to coronavirus while undergoing treatment for an underlying condition.

The man identified as Laban Kimungu hailed from Molo.

In an online obituary put out by his family, they penned

‘It is with humble acceptance of God’s will that we announce the promotion to glory of Mr. Laban Kimungu Njoroge of Molo.

He had been undergoing treatment for an underlying condition when he succumbed to the COVID-19 on March 25th 2020.’

He was husband to Elder Esther Waithera Kimungu of Molo. ‘

Loading...

Laban had six children and he had nine siblings (one is deceased).

He was an uncle and a grandfather to many.

The obituary further read

‘We will continue with E-Virtual memorial services every night from 8pm EST. 

On Tuesday 03/31/2020 we will have a celebration of life, service from 7 pm with cremation to follow on Wednesday 04/01/2020.

Please call (978) 419-9737 to join in.’

Adding

‘We are kindly asking for financial assistance from friends and well-wishers.

We still have immediate family members that remain hospitalized and quarantined due to the current Covid-19 pandemic.’

May he rest in peace.

Read more

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending