Home Business President Uhuru launches Nairobi-Suswa SGR : The Standard

President Uhuru launches Nairobi-Suswa SGR : The Standard

by kenya-tribune
3 views

President Uhuru Kenyatta has officially opened the second phase Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) from Nairobi to Naivasha for passenger services.

The Mombasa-Nairobi Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) is expected to promote development in East African countries, including Burundi, Uganda, and Rwanda.
The event started at Syokimau and ended in Mai Mahiu with the President opening open various stations along the way.
The Sh150 billion line cut across Nairobi, Kajiado, Narok and Nakuru.

SEE ALSO :End of SGR boom hits Bamburi Cement profit

The line has four passenger stations namely; Ongata Rongai, Ngong, Mai Mahiu and Suswa and one inter-change station at Nachu station.
According to National Lands Commission, a total amount of Sh17.6 billion has been spent on compensation so far.
Traders along the line have welcomed the launch and are optimistic that the project will open up business opportunities.

For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.

President Uhuru has also commission works on the Inland Container Depot (ICD) located within the planned Dry Port near Mai Mahiu town.
Delays

SEE ALSO :Kenya debt to China hits Sh650b as SGR takes up more funds

The completion of the 120.49 kilometres (Phase 2A) project whose construction began in 2017 had been delayed following a compensation tussle between the affected persons and the Kenya Railways.
According to Kenya Railways and China Communications Construction Company (CCCC), the project was set for completion in May with commencement of commuter services expected by June 1.
The contractor, CCCC, had said that the 35- kilometers stretch between Embul Bul (Ngong) and the Nairobi National Park was highly affected as a result of delayed land compensation.
The launch comes even as reports are emerging that a group of residents has moved to court to stop the relocation of families living on the 1,000-acre land earmarked for the special economic zone.
“The case is being handled by the concerned Government department as the affected families had been compensated by Kedong ranch with 4,000 acres,” said Naivasha sub-county commissioner Mbogo Mathioya.

SEE ALSO :Uhuru announce marshal plan for Coast

However, Narok East MP Ken Aramat said more than 10,000 families would be affected by the project and the 4,000 acres provided would not be enough.


Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.

SGRNairobi-Suswa SGRPresident Uhuru Kenyatta

You may also like