An old man in Mukuru Kwa Njenga in Embakasi South sub county within Nairobi is counting losses after his rental house was razed down by fire.
Mzee Osman Abdullahi the owner of the house says the inferno started at few minutes past midnight after an elderly tenant had a sharp altercation with his son.
According to Abdullahi, a candle that was lit in the room then caught the beddings burning down the house.
“I am the owner of the house that has been razed down. I carry the loss after my property was burnt in the act of what seems to be arson. My tenant had issues with the son who was under the influence of alcohol and there could have been a scuffle before the candle they were using to light the room came into contact with the beddings,” Abdullahi said.
Abdullahi further told Ghetto Radio that rental houses business in the informal settlements has become a risky venture since some tenants are using candles while under the influence of alcohol.
“Most tenants are putting rental business at risk, they operate in the houses with candles while drunk, hence the fires,” Abdullahi added.
No deaths or injuries were reported.
By Rodgers Oduor