Connect with us

General

Separated widow inherits half of man’s estate

Published

on

Loading...
JOSEPH WANGUI

By JOSEPH WANGUI
More by this Author

A widow, who had separated from her polygamous husband for 20 years, has inherited half of the man’s estate after the co-wife failed to prove to the court that she had been divorced.

Ms Mary Wanjiru laid claim to a stake of the estate of Laban Kamau, who died in 1998, after learning that her co-wife Agnes Wangechi had not listed her as a beneficiary.

Justice Ali Aroni, while ruling on the succession dispute at the High Court in Milimani, Nairobi, revoked a grant of the estate representation issued to Ms Wangechi in March 1999.

In its place, the judge ordered joint administration of the estate by the two families.

He directed for issuance of a fresh grant to Robert Kamau (Ms Wanjiru’s son) representing the interest of the first house and Agnes Wangechi representing interests of the second family as joint administrators.

“Section 3 of the Law of Succession Act defines ‘wife’ to include one who is separated from the husband,” said Justice Aroni. The deceased had three children with the first wife and four with the second.

Advertisement

Loading...

The property at the centre of the inheritance fight are parcels of lands and commercials plots spread across Nairobi, Nanyuki and Laikipia. No liabilities were listed.

Based on the law and the facts of the case, the judge found that the deceased had two wives.

For purposes of distribution of his estate, his wives and children will be considered as heirs entitled to inherit his property in accordance with Section 40(1) and (2) of the Law of Succession Act.

The court said that should the estate have any income generating assets revenue will be collected and banked in an escrow account to be opened in the joint names of lawyers involved in the dispute.

Justice Aroni also directed that the joint administrators should conduct a valuation of the assets of the estate for purposes of distribution within next 60 days.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Who is Ivy Brenda Cherotich? – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

The first patient of coronavirus in Kenya was revealed on Wednesday during a video call with President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Ivy Brenda Cherotich together with Brian Orinda, Kenya’s third patient, also shared with Kenyans their journey since they were diagnosed with Covid-19.

Who is Ivy Brenda Cherotich?

Brenda is a peace ambassador and human rights activist according to her Facebook Profile.

“I’m a universal peace ambassador. I’m a human rights activist. Sustainable Development Goals,” read her profile.

Ivy is a former beauty queen who competed under Miss Tourism. She is the reigning Miss Tourism Kenya Hospitality from 2018 to 2020.

She studied at Moi Girls High School in Eldoret for her O level.

She has also studied Information and Telecommunication Engineering at both Jomo Kenyatta University (JKUAT) and the Multimedia University of Kenya.

Loading...

During her time at MMK, she co-founded the first Engineering Students Association at the University.

In 2015, she was elected as the student leader in charge of Gender, Health and Environment at the university.

She was also the Secretary of Gender and Special Needs.

At JKUAT, she graduated with upper second class honour in engineering

According to her Facebook, she had worked for Safaricom in the department of electrical electric and telecommunication engineering.

Her present job is with Incotech Ltd, which is based in England.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

President Uhuru apologises to Kenyans for police brutality : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

Police officers beat motorists at Nakuru KFA roundabout while enforcing the night curfew. (Kipsang Joseph, Standard)
President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday apologised to Kenyans following reports of police brutality as they implemented the dusk to dawn curfew in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19.

“I want to apologise to all Kenyans, maybe for some excesses which were conducted or happened,” Uhuru said during a virtual meeting with recovered coronavirus patients, Brenda and Brian.
Brenda was Kenya’s first coronavirus patient.
She first arrived in Texas, USA on December 19, 2019, then proceeded to Cleveland, Ohio, finally making a stop in London, United Kingdom.
SEE ALSO :After Uhuru decision on housing, state must listen to people moreThe patient was quarantined at Mbagathi Hospital for 23 days, recording Kenya’s first recovery from the disease.
During the meeting, President Uhuru reiterated on the need for social distancing and observation of the guidelines laid out by the Ministry of Health in the fight against the pandemic.
He urged Kenyans to understand the gravity of the global pandemic insisting that that the measures introduced by the government were necessary to curb its spread.
STEALING FROM THE SICK: Why hospitals are healthy wards for criminals – The Nairobian   Read Now »

Loading...

Kenya started enforcing a dusk to dawn curfew just days after the country recorded its first coronavirus-related death.
The curfew was announced on March 25 for an unspecified period.
SEE ALSO :The wars in Uhuru and Raila political partiesIt, however, got off on the wrong footing, with police officers across the country reportedly using excessive force, beating and tear-gassing crowds of people on their way home from work.
At least three people have reportedly been killed by police action, including a 13-year-old boy who was hit by a stray bullet on Monday evening.
Kenya has reported 59 confirmed cases of Covid-19 since its outbreak in the city of Wuhan, China and one death.

Are you suspecting that you have coronavirus? Before you rush to the hospital, do this quick easy self-assessment test. #StayHome #WashYourHands HERE.

Related Topics
President Uhuru KenyattaPolice BrutalityCoronavirus

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

3 COVID-19 patients recover as Kenya records highest single-day increase in cases » Capital News

Published

on

Loading...

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 1 – Kenya has registered three COVID-19 recoveries, after the first and third patients fully recovered from the virus.

The first recovery was announced by President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday, March 25.

The
two other patients, Brenda Cherotich and Brian Orinda, appeared publicly on Wednesday
during a live video conference with President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said the two had been cleared to rejoin their families

“The
president announced earlier today that Brenda and Brian had turned negative on
two tests. They tested negative after being tested twice over a period of time
not on the same day. We are very pleased that they are now back home with their
families,” Kagwe said.

Brenda
had travelled to the United States of America in December last year, and came
back on March 5 via London.

She has been in quarantine for 23 days while Brian has been in the health facility for 2 weeks after contracting the virus from Brenda.

“I went to the US on December 19 and when I finished my stay I travelled to Cleveland and then to Chicago where I had a 10-hour layover. I then went to London and this is where I think I may have contracted the virus or on the plane while coming back home,” said Brenda.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

She added that three days after arriving in the country, she had a persistent cough and after observing her body for 3 days, she decided to visit Mbagathi Hospital.

“At
the facility they took me seriously and gave me a mask immediately I told them
I had travelled from outside the country. I want to assure Kenyans that this
disease is manageable and treatable,” she said.

Brian who contracted the virus after coming into close contact with Brenda said he had been in the hospital for the last two weeks.

Loading...

He
urged people to be careful and follow the guidelines set aside by the government
to ensure containment of the coronavirus.

“I
am glad that I am sharing my story and I hope people can now believe that
indeed the virus is real, and it is in Kenya. Many people in upcountry still do
not believe it. My aunt called me and told me that since I had contracted it,
she now believes its existence,” said Brian.

President Uhuru Kenyatta commended Brenda and Brian for helping in contact tracing and being responsible after they realized they had COVID-19 symptoms.

He
urged Kenyans to follow the example set by the two former coronavirus patients to
protect their loved ones, especially the elderly and people with
preexisting conditions, from contracting the virus.

“If
we were able to follow Brenda and Brian’s example, we can contain this disease.
As the two young people are showing us, we can not only contain this disease,
 but we can also treat it and get out of it. So, for all of us who are out
there with the symptoms, let us behave like these two brave and patriotic
Kenyans,” Kenyatta appealed.

The country has so far
recorded 81 COVID-19 cases after Kagwe announced 22 new cases.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

One patient, a
66-year-old who died while undergoing treatment, was diabetic.

The global pandemic has claimed
over 43,000 lives and infected over 800,000 others globally.

However, 184,596 people
have recovered.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending