Connect with us

General

Sharon murder: More suspects to be arrested

Published

on

Loading...


By RUTH MBULA
More by this Author

Detectives have taken fingerprints from the car suspected to have been used to ferry the kidnappers of slain Rongo University student Sharon Otieno and Nation journalist Barrack Oduor.

The police later drove the car from Oyugis Police Station to Nairobi for further forensic analysis.

Sources said the findings would add to a pool of evidence already collected to aid in nailing the people who killed Ms Otieno and her unborn baby.

“We are not leaving anything to chance and, in forensics, anyone mentioned in this case is a person of interest,” a source conversant with the investigation said.

After dusting the black Toyota Fielder car, the detectives in a fleet of about 10 vehicles left for Nairobi with the ill-fated vehicle being driven by one of them.

Though the sleuths were reluctant to divulge any information, sources indicated that they were closing in on the main suspect who planned, financed and oversaw Sharon’s gruesome murder.

“This informs the decision of the detectives to move to Nairobi. A key suspect will soon be arrested,” the source revealed.

Police have linked the vehicle to Mr Caspal Obiero, a clerk at Migori County, who often runs errands for Migori Governor Okoth Obado.

On Wednesday, a court in Kisii allowed police to detain Mr Obiero for 10 days. He had surrendered to the police in Oyugis after the car registered in the name of his wife, Ms Olivia Oloo, was linked to the kidnapping and murder.

Ms Oloo on Sunday recorded a statement with the police, but detectives let her go after she proved that her husband was the one who had been using the Toyota Fielder at the time the murder happened.

Police also secured a 10-day detention of Mr Elvis Okoth Omondi, a policeman assigned to guard Mr Obado.

Mr Okoth had accompanied Mr Obiero to Oyugis Police Station but ended up being arrested.

Initially, police sources told the Nation he was arrested and disarmed because he had caused a commotion at the police station.

But his appearance in court may mean that the police are now linking him to the murder as well.

Loading...

The vehicle was impounded on Monday and Mr Jack Ogombe, who is a taxi driver in Migori, arrested.

He is said to have driven the dark car mentioned in a witness account filed by Mr Oduor, who claimed he escaped the captors by jumping out of a moving vehicle.

On Monday, the suspect was produced at the Oyugis Law Courts where the magistrate allowed the police to detain him for two more weeks.

Mr Obado had been interrogated by detectives at the CID headquarters in Kisumu Town. Also, DNA results confirmed that the baby boy ripped from Sharon’s womb was Obado’s, thus putting the Migori governor at the heart of investigations.

Detectives say the governor’s wife, Hellen, is also a person of interest, after suspects named her associates in the horrendous scheme.

On Wednesday, police postponed her scheduled interrogation at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) headquarters as investigators gathered more evidence from suspects already in custody.

Also in custody is former Kanyadoto MCA Lawrence Mula and Mr Michael Oyamo, a personal assistant to Mr Obado.

A Kisii court last week detained the ex-MCA for 14 days to give detectives more time to investigate his possible involvement in the abduction and killing of the Rongo University student.

The High Court last week allowed police to detain Mr Oyamo, Mr Obado’s aide, for 14 days at Muthaiga Police Station, Nairobi.



Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

State now aims to trace all travellers : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

Senator Mary Seneta applies hand sanitiser as her colleague Johnes Mwaruma keeps his distance before attending a Senate special sitting on Tuesday. [Boniface Okendo, Standard]

A multi-agency team has been set up to co-ordinate all activities related to controlling the spread of the coronavirus disease in the country.

The team that comprises officials from the Health ministry, police, intelligence services, military and ambulance service providers, is using technology to trace and forcibly quarantine individuals who had travelled to high-risk countries but failed to self-isolate on their return.
Taxi drivers who ferried the suspected infected individuals, especially from airports, are also being sought.
The team that is based at the Embakasi Garrison has information on all travellers, especially from the US, Europe and Middle East, and it is tracking the individuals’ activities to establish if they observed the mandatory self-isolation rules.
SEE ALSO: China virus cases spike, 17 new infections reportedPresident Uhuru Kenyatta yesterday praised the team that is said to be working closely with telecommunication service providers to fulfill its mandate.
On Tuesday, Kericho Senator Aaron Cheruiyot complained that State officials had rounded up parliamentary staff who arrived in the country on March 8 and taken them to Kasarani for quarantine.
The Senate subsequently sent a letter to the ministries of Interior and Health demanding an explanation, even as sources said the team has a list of people it is looking for.

Loading...

Teachers want national exams cancelled – The Standard   Read Now »
“Technology is now the main driver in tracing these individuals who are seen as the main agents of the disease spread,” said an official aware of the developments.
Officials expect the numbers of those infected to rise in the coming weeks as more people are tested for Covid-19.
SEE ALSO: China confirms virus spreading between humansThe team has reportedly been updating five key committees set up by President Kenyatta to manage the country’s response to the pandemic.
The committees consist of officials from the Executive and counties who are monitoring various operations across the country.
Operational briefs
The National Co-ordination Committee on the Response to the Coronavirus Pandemic is the central team that gets frequent operational briefs.
It consists of the Cabinet secretaries for Interior, Health, National Treasury, Defence and Agriculture, the Head of the Public Service, the chairman of the Council of Governors, State House Chief of Staff, Chief of Defence Forces, National Intelligence Service director general, Interior Principal Secretary and deputy Chief of Staff for Policy and Strategy.
SEE ALSO: Factbox: What we know about the new coronavirus spreading in China and beyondThe committee is backed by four other teams. These are the County Government Co-ordination and Food Supply Committee, National Emergency Response Committee, National Economic and Business Response Committee, and Security Preparedness and Response Committee.

Are you suspecting that you have coronavirus? Before you rush to the hospital, do this quick easy self-assessment test. #StayHome #WashYourHands HERE.

Related Topics
CoronavirusCoronavirus In Kenya

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Man dies after being assaulted by police during curfew hours – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

A 35-year-old man suspected to have been assaulted by police officers for flouting curfew regulation has succumbed to injuries while receiving treatment at the Kakamega County General Hospital.

He was identified as Ramathan Juma from Joyland estate in Kakamega town.

His aunt Zainab Abdalla said her nephew, who suffers from a mental illness, left home on Tuesday but did not return home.

“As a family, we are so sad about what has happened. Juma is sickly and sometimes leaves home and we have to go looking for him. I have lived with him for the last 16 years since his mother died and its wrong for police to have attacked him without finding out his condition,” said Mrs Abadalla.

It is suspected that Juma could have strayed from home and got caught up in the curfew melee on his way home.

The family reported his disappearance at the Kakamega police station and were informed he had been admitted at the hospital.

They said he had been found lying unconscious along a road and was taken to hospital by police officers.

“I suspect my son was battered by police officers during the curfew. We are informed he was found in Sichirai with injuries to his head. We suspect police beat him up without realising he had a mental illness,” Mrs Abdalla lamented.

Loading...

Kakamega Central police commander Mr David Kabene said the incident was being investigated.

“I have met the family and told them that we need to wait for the postmortem examination to establish the cause of the death,” said Mr Kabena.

In Amalemba estate, several people including a prison warder were arrested and questioned after they were found in a bar belonging to a retired police boss.

Mr Kabene said the Officer Commding Station was summoned and cautioned to ensure the premises are closed during curfew hours.

“She came and explained that the manager was caught while selling take away drinks and food to patrons,” said Mr Kabene.

He said the patrons were escorted to their homes and cautioned not to repeat the offence.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Duterte tells Philippine police to shoot lockdown violators

Published

on

Loading...
AFP

By AFP
More by this Author

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has told security forces that they should shoot dead anyone causing “trouble” in areas locked down due to the coronavirus pandemic.

About half the country’s roughly 110 million people are currently under quarantine – including millions in deep poverty, left jobless by tough restrictions on movement.

Hours before Duterte gave the order in a speech late Wednesday, nearly two dozen people from a slum community in the capital Manila were arrested for holding a protest that accused the government of failing to provide food aid to the poor.

“My orders are to the police and military – also village officials – that if there is trouble or the situation arises that people fight and your lives are on the line, shoot them dead,” Duterte said.

Advertisement

“Instead of causing trouble, I’ll send you to the grave,” he said, adding that the outbreak is getting worse more than two weeks into the lockdown.

The Philippines has so far detected 2,311 cases and reported 96 deaths, but the country has only begun ramping up testing and so the number of confirmed infections is expected to keep rising.

Duterte, who came to power in a landslide 2016 election victory, is known internationally for his foul-mouthed tirades and deadly crackdown on drugs, which is overwhelmingly supported by Filipinos.

But critics allege that Duterte’s drug war targets the poor and leaves the rich and powerful untouched, while reinforcing a culture of impunity.

Loading...

The president’s latest comments drew immediate rebuke from rights groups who urged the government to provide much-needed relief supplies instead of issuing threats of violence.

“It is deeply alarming that President Duterte has extended a policy of shoot-to-kill… Deadly, unchecked force should never be referred to as a method to respond to an emergency such as the Covid-19 pandemic,” Amnesty International Philippines said in a statement.

As frequently happens after Duterte makes an announcement that sparks concern, officials said the president used hyperbole to make a point.

Philippine National Police Chief Archie Gamboa said on Thursday that officers would not begin shooting troublemakers dead.

“Probably the president just overemphasised on implementing the law in this time of crisis,” he added.

The quarantine, which affects Manila’s 12 million people, has shuttered most businesses and brought nearly all social, religious and business activity to a halt.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending