Connect with us

General

Two suspects linked to TRM, Garden City car thefts syndicate arrested – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Detectives on Tuesday afternoon arrested two people they believe are part of criminal ring which has been behind car thefts at Thika Road Mall (TRM), Garden City Mall and its environs.

Police say the two suspects Kelvin Mokaya and Moses Alimlim often pose as gym members and then access the changing rooms, steal car keys before driving away with stolen vehicles.

Speaking to Nairobi News, Kasarani OCPD Peter Kimani said they received a call from TRM guards after the suspects could not produce the mall’s parking chip.

“We were alerted of two people who wanted to flee the mall after they were asked to produce the mall’s parking chip and they couldn’t. After searching the car we recovered a bunch of car keys and alarms belonging to different vehicles from the suspects which we believe the suspects use to steal valuables from unsuspecting members of the public,” said Mr Kimani.

Loading...

Detectives investigating the case believe that the same gang is linked to carjackings, theft of laptops, phones and other items from shoppers at TRM and Garden City Mall.

The latest arrest comes just three months after detectives attached to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) arrested two suspects linked to a theft syndicate that has been targeting high end shopping malls.

Rebecca Kinuthia Waruguru and Stephen Ochieng were captured on CCTV cameras stealing from shoppers who were withdrawing money at ATMs in Garden City mall and Thika Road mall.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

US official coming to Kenya to discuss huge potential aid project

Published

on

Loading...
KEVIN J.  KELLEY

By KEVIN J. KELLEY
More by this Author

The head of a special US development programme is due in Kenya next week to hold initial talks on the country’s potential eligibility for project funding that could total billions of shillings.

Sean Cairncross, CEO of the Millennium Development Corporation (MCC), said in a press briefing on Thursday that Kenya is making “excellent progress” toward meeting criteria for inclusion in the programme.

Kenya has failed the MCC’s eligibility tests for more than a decade, largely because of rampant corruption.

But the US government-sponsored MCC decided last month to qualify Kenya for a “threshold programme” that will likely carry funding of between $20 million and $30 million.

The money to be given to Kenya through that programme would be used to promote additional gains in the country’s efforts to limit graft.

Successfully completing this initial step could result in Kenya being chosen for a “compact” with MCC. Such an arrangement, usually focused on infrastructure development, involves an MCC grant averaging about $350 million, Mr Cairncross said.

Advertisement

Established in 2004 during George W Bush’s presidency, the Millennium Challenge Corporation conditions its assistance on countries’ performance in “ruling justly”, following free-market economic policies, and investing in health, education and environmental initiatives.

Since its inception, MCC has awarded a total of more than $8 billion to 25 developing countries, including 13 on the African continent.

Loading...

Kenya must make additional progress in controlling corruption before it can be deemed eligible for an MCC compact, Mr Cairncross noted. The country’s standing in that regard is determined by assessments on the part of the World Bank and other “third-party data sources,” the MCC director said.

Corruption does not have to be eradicated in order for Kenya to qualify for an MCC compact, Mr Cairncross told reporters. Eligibility is assessed on the basis of a “trend toward dealing with that corruption and a willingness to engage government resources and political will to take those issues on,” he said.

This is not the first threshold programme for which Kenya has been chosen.

It entered into an initiative of that type in 2007 that was aimed at reforming the country’s public procurement systems, improving health service and delivery, and enhancing the monitoring capacity of government and civil-society organisations.

Despite some progress on each of those fronts, Kenya was still falling short of MCC eligibility standards when the first threshold programme concluded in 2010.

“Kenya is an important partner in East Africa,” the MCC said in December in announcing the country’s approval for a second threshold programme.

That MCC move likely reflects Washington’s aim of countering the influence China has gained in Kenya through its large-scale infrastructure investments in recent years.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Form One admission extended to January 24

Published

on

Loading...
OUMA WANZALA

By OUMA WANZALA
More by this Author

The Ministry of Education has extended admission of Form One students to January 24.

Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang in a circular to regional and county directors of Education dated January 17, said the exercise has been extended to ensure that no learner is locked out of secondary school.

The exercise was to end on January 17 and the extension is a relief to parents, who were struggling to raise fees.

“Schools should use the extension to trace their learners who have not reported and at the same time capture all reported learners in NEMIS,” said Dr Kipsang.

He also directed primary school head teachers to use their 2019 candidates’ list to ensure that they have been placed in secondary schools.

Loading...

Dr Kipsang directed the head teachers to report any child, who is out of school for any reason to respective Education officials.

Advertisement

The government introduced 100 percent transition to secondary school three years ago.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Police seize illegal gambling machines in Runda

Published

on

Loading...
SARAH NANJALA

By SARAH NANJALA
More by this Author

More than 1,200 gambling machines were Friday seized by detectives at a private residence in Nairobi’s Runda estate.

Confirming the incident, Gigiri Sub-County Commanding Police Officer Richard Muguai said officers received a tip-off from members of the public.

“A tip to the police station on Thursday led us to begin our investigations and send officers to check the house.

“At the house we found a green tent outside that was well covered and after opening we found more than 1,200 slot coin machines,” he said.

Mr Muguai further said that the house was unoccupied, save for a gardener at the compound who opened the premises for the police.

Loading...

“There is no one currently at the house and we are doing investigations to find the owners and tenants of the house. The gardener could not tell us much about who lived there and only told us that the machines were brought to the house in 2018,” he added.

Advertisement

Preliminary investigation according to the police boss show that the slot machines were brought to the house by three foreigners. The foreigners were of Chinese, Tanzanian and Zambian nationalities.

The police boss said no arrests have been made yet.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending