Connect with us

General

Why babies are given up for adoption : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

When she fell pregnant, her parents kicked her out of their home. The Ethiopian teenager then sought refuge across the border in Moyale.
But after giving birth at Sololo Mission Hospital on July 18, 2012, she abandoned the baby. Not even community service penalty by a Moyale court could tighten the bond between the young mother and her baby. She fled. The infant was placed under foster care at the Nairobi Children’s Home.
But on July 11, 2019 the baby found new parents. The court allowed a couple, who had adopted a son in July 2015, to assume parental rights of the baby’s biological parents.
“The child shall have the right to inherit their property. The applicants shall not be able to give up the child owing to any subsequent unforeseen behaviour or other changes in the child. This court dispenses with the consent of the child’s biological mother who abandoned it and disappeared into Ethiopia,” said Justice Aggrey Muchelule.
Hers is just one of several cases of parents running away from their children. While some give up their children due to economic hardships, others do so due to traditions and the stigma of giving birth at a young age. It is a situation that has seen the children acquire new parents, identities and homes as they continue with their lives without knowing their biological parents.
Family lawyer John Swaka says the emotions that come with the inability to raise a child lead to such surrenders that have seen some of the children get adopted by caring families.
However, he says, there are cases where parents regret having given up their children for adoption and this leads to depression.
The cases include when a woman fails to give birth to another child, becomes economically stable or if the child makes it in life.
No legislation
“There is no legislation on reasons for giving up a child for adoption. It is upon the mother or guardian to know the reasons for taking such action,” he said.
It is such a situation that saw the High Court in Nairobi protect a child by giving her a new identity after a couple in Machakos County was allowed to adopt her.
“Baby RWS aka RW shall henceforth be known as STN,” Justice Muchelule ordered after he was satisfied that all the legal requirements for a local adoption under the Children Act had been met.
Article 53(1)(a) of the constitution provides that every child has the right to a name and nationality from birth. Section 11 of the Children’s Act also provides that every child shall have a right to a name and nationality and that where a child is deprived of his identity, the government shall provide appropriate assistance and protection with a view of establishing his identity.
Baby STN was born on February 16, 2018 at Mwihila Mission Hospital but was given up for adoption by her biological parents on the grounds that she was conceived from an incestuous relationship, which is a taboo in their community the baby would be considered an outcast.
The child was then handed over to the Kenya Children’s Home Adoption Society on the same day but on March 6, 2018, she was placed under the care of Springs Life Children’s Home by the Chief Magistrate’s Court in Kakamega County. On August 7, 2018, she was placed to bond with a couple that got married in December 2014 but has not had a child to date.
The court finally allowed them to adopt the baby on July 11. In Nairobi County, a couple surrendered their son for adoption two days after he was born.
The couple is said to have approached Little Angeles Network on the grounds that they had two other children, with the younger one being two years old and were therefore not socially or economically ready to take care of the new born. They signed a consent order on November 2, 2017, to detach them from the baby forever. The following day, the Children’s Court issued an order that committed the baby to New Life Home Trust and declared him free for adoption.
More than six months later, the baby’s luck to be raised in a home with two parents came knocking when he was placed with a married couple identified as AWM and YKM for purposes of bonding.
Socially and emotionally stable
The couple was married in 2008, had a son born in December 2012 and was socially and emotionally stable and suitable to adopt a child.
Early this year, the court appointed a guardian and ordered him, along with the Director of Children Services, to carry out a social inquiry to determine whether the couple was suitable to adopt the boy and provide him with a good environment.
And on July 29 this year, Justice Muchelule said the adopting couple had been informed that they were to assume parental rights and obligations of the biological parents of the child.
This was the same case with a love affair between cousins that led to the birth of baby TNM at Mbagathi Hospital on April 14, 2018.
The child’s mother and a guardian wrote to the Kenya Children’s Home, seeking to offer the child for adoption.
On January 24, an unmarried woman identified as RNMJ, with both Kenyan and British citizenship, applied to the court to allow her adopt the child. “This Court is satisfied that the applicant is qualified and able to take care of the child. She has no criminal record and is of good health,” said Justice Muchelule in his May 23 judgment.
“The child has bonded well with the applicant and she is well looked after. The child considers the applicant her parent.”
In rare cases, certain fathers have legally given up their biological rights to men who come into the lives of their ex-wives or girlfriends. For instance, a man identified by the court as CMK gave his consent to the adoption of his son on March 3, 2018. He gave it to the mother who had got married to a US citizen living in Kenya.

Loading...

We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.

Related Topics
Nairobi Children’s HomeAdoptionMotherhoodParenting

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Notorious female robbery with violence suspect arrested in Nairobi – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) arrested a notorious robbery with violence suspect in Nairobi.

The suspect, who has other pending court cases according the police, was nabbed on Uhuru Highway near Nyayo Stadium while attempting to flee on foot after a suspicious vehicle she was occupying together with two men was intercepted.

Elizabeth Akinyi, 39, reportedly defied an order by police to stop and instead she and her two accomplices abandoned the car and scampered on foot.

The DCI detectives managed to arrest Akinyi even as the two male suspects managed to escape and are are being sought by police.

Police recovered eight master keys, 180 assorted door keys, masking tape, two mobile phones, a crowbar, a screwdriver, as well as front and rear number plates of a vehicle registration number KCU 586Q inside the car they were using.

Loading...

According to the DCI, Ms Akinyi is part of a robbery with violence gang that reportedly operates in Gigiri and Kilimani divisions.

DCI said she also had a pending court case, including one where she and 5 others were arrested for a similar offence on May 18, 2019.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Equalisation Fund illegality a sour taste for counties

Published

on

Loading...
PATRICK LANG'AT

By PATRICK LANG’AT
More by this Author

The fate of 84 hospitals in 14 marginalised counties now hangs in the balance due to a row between the national government and the devolved units over expenditure of the multibillion-shilling Equalisation Fund.

The Equalisation Fund Advisory Board, under the auspices of which the hospitals were built between December 2017 and May 2019, was declared an illegal entity via a High Court decision in November 2019.

This means that the hospitals, which are complete, remain unused as the national government cannot hand over structures that were constructed by an entity that the courts have declared illegal.

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe has resorted to pleading with the counties to accept the hospitals.

“It would be prudent that the facilities be handed over so that they can be used as response centres to the (Covid-19) pandemic in marginalised counties,” Mr Kagwe said in an April 2 letter addressed to Council of Governors chairman Wycliffe Oparanya.

Advertisement

The letter has also been copied to Attorney-General Kihara Kariuki, Treasury Cabinet Secretary Ukur Yatani and Health Principal Secretary Susan Mochache.

The current situation, Mr Kagwe says, means that the Equalisation Fund budget cannot be uploaded to the Ifmis system to enable processing of payments.

In the 2016/17 financial year, Mr Kagwe said, the ministry was allocated Sh1.964 billion to build the hospitals. He now wants the matter settled out of court and modalities of handing over the hospitals agreed upon.

“Allow the National Treasury to upload the budget for the 2019/20 budget to facilitate payments of pending bills in line with the presidential directive and allow contractors to complete the remaining works,” he urged the governors.

Loading...

In the November 2019 ruling, the High Court held that the national government was only limited to the operational aspects of the fund, including the preparation, allocation and execution of budgetary decisions with regard to that account, using established financial procedures.

“These provisions do not give the national government any powers in relation to the decisions and manner of expenditure of the monies in that account. Under Articles 204 and 216, these functions are the preserve of the Commission on Revenue Allocation (CRA),” the High Court ruled.

This was a huge win to the 14 counties that joined the Senate and the CRA to file the case that sought to have the court declare that the fund, meant for the benefit of marginalised counties, can only be disbursed by the national government through the respective county governments, and in accordance with the recommendations made by the CRA as approved by Parliament.

They are Turkana, Mandera, Wajir, Marsabit, Samburu, West Pokot, Tana River, Narok, Kwale, Garissa, Kilifi, Taita Taveta, Isiolo, and Lamu.

In 2018, they shared Sh11.98 billion, with Turkana getting the largest share at Sh1.05 billion followed by Mandera (Sh967.6 million) and Wajir (Sh929.8 million).

The other big beneficiaries were Marsabit (Sh886.2 million), Samburu (Sh869.7 million) and Tana River (Sh859 million).

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Inside China’s sure-fire strategy of fighting the COVID-19 pandemic » Capital News

Published

on

Loading...

Since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in late 2019, China has gone all out to fight the disease. The speed, intensity and coverage of China’s response have been unprecedented in the world.

Since January 2020, infection figures of the disease within China have reduced drastically, with almost no deaths being reported currently. Almost all cases detected in the country today are imported.

Indeed, effectively curbing the disease did not happen by chance. China’s Government, led by President Xi Jinping, came up with, and implemented a series of measures to great effect.

The first strategy was setting up a unified principle and leadership. To fight such serious and massive pandemic, leadership and command are most important. From the beginning, China’s central government established the guiding principle as, “place people’s life, security and health above anything else”.

An Inter-agency Prevention and Central task force was set up, working efficiently to ensure all urgent issues were quickly resolved.

Secondly, China’s government mobilised what it called a “People’s War”. The entire nation was mobilised. All the 31 provinces in China’s mainland were activated to first-level public health emergency response, taking the most comprehensive and rigorous measures possible.

Various teams including experts, medical teams, engineers and construction workers were deployed to the worst-hit areas. The Chinese government allocated USD 9.4 billion for fighting the outbreak, with over 20 tons of medical supplies handled and delivered every hour. In addition, patient subsidy policies were implemented.

Both urban and rural citizens made joint efforts to prevent and contain the outbreak. Residents spontaneously formed patrol teams to supervise the work, with communities regularly sanitising compounds and making daily mandatory reports so as to cut off the transmission of the virus.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

For the Chinese, the Spring Festival is always a golden season for family reunions, visiting friends, traveling and shopping. However, due to the pandemic, the entire population readily subjected themselves to home quarantine.

Instead of complaining, the people commented jokingly that, “staying at home is contributing to our country”. Citizens also managed to entertain themselves creatively through holding “cloud parties” and playing “dinner table tennis”. This portrayed both a high sense of discipline and humour of the Chinese people.

Loading...

Thirdly, the Chinese decided to fight as one people. Hubei Province, and especially the Wuhan epicentre, was not left alone by the rest of the country. Over 23,000 medical staff were mobilised and deployed to Hubei to offer the much-needed support.

In a span of less than two weeks, two new specialised hospitals with over 2,600 beds for the new coronavirus treatment were constructed in Wuhan. A dozen of mobile cabin hospitals were also assembled to treat patients with mild COVID-19 symptoms.

Both the Central and Local governments made an emergency allocation of about US$ 10 billion worth of reserve medical supplies for protective suits, masks and medicine to Wuhan and Hubei Province, and the country as a whole. Today, most factories nationwide have resumed production of the medical supplies to relieve the shortage.

The fourth line of attack involved fighting using scientific measures. The Chinese Centre for Disease Control and other medical research institutes both at home and abroad managed to separate the virus, and are currently identifying a seed strain. Subsequently, China managed to develop detection devices and reagents to manage the virus nationwide.

Today, the best Chinese experts around the world are racing against time to develop treatment methods and prevention measures. China is also working closely with the World Health Organisation in undertaking relevant research, and develop new drugs and vaccines against the virus.

Prevention and control measures are continuously being improved and strengthened. In the last several weeks, patients have been diagnosed, reported, isolated, and treated within a very short time. People who have had close contact with patients are under close medical observation. All these are aimed at preventing further spread of the disease.

Most critical is the fifth strategy, which has involved Chinese authorities acting with utmost openness, promptness, and transparency. The Chinese government is working closely with the WHO in fighting the pandemic.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The Chinese authorities continue to update the data and status report on a daily basis, including sharing best practices with the international community. In Kenya, the Chinese Embassy has kept close touch with the government, particularly the ministries of Foreign Affairs, Health, and Transport in coordinating prevention and control efforts.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending