Connect with us

Entertainment

Widow seeks Sh27bn from Boeing over Ethiopian Airlines crash

Published

on

Loading...

A French widow whose husband was killed in the Boeing plan that crashed in Ethiopia in March has sued the aircraft maker for compensation. According to information released by her lawyer Nadege Dubois-Seex is seeking at least $276 million (about Ksh27 billion) in damages.

Her husband, Jonathan Seex, was among 157 passengers are crew who perished in the Ethiopian Airlines flight 302 Boeing 737 MAX airliner, which nosedived a dozen minutes after take-off from Addis Ababa International Airport.

“It is a tragedy which, by definition, could have been avoided, because it had already happened five months before. How could they stay deaf to this warning?” Dubois-Seex told reporters in Paris on Tuesday, referring to another Boeing 737 Max 8 in Indonesian company Lion Air’s fleet that crashed last October, leaving 189 people dead.

[ READ: Interview – KETRACO MD Fernandes Barasa on electrifying Kenya, one volt at a time ]

She has filed the lawsuit in the US city of Chicago, where Boeing is headquartered. Nadege argues that Boeing failed to inform pilots properly about the risks posed by software meant to prevent the 737 MAX from stalling which repeatedly lowered the plane’s nose due to a faulty sensor data, according to US attorney Nomaan Husain.

“Once again corporate greed has placed profits over safety with tragic consequences for the public,” Husain said in a written statement quoted by Reuters. “We have learned that Boeing relied on a single sensor that had been previously flagged in over 200 incident reports submitted to the FAA (U.S. Federal Aviation Administration).”

Husain said in Paris he was seeking a minimum of $276 million in damages for his client. “The life of my husband was taken knowingly, and even willingly,” Dubois-Seex said, visibly emotional. “Boeing acted with cynicism. My husband was the collateral damage of a system, of a business strategy.”

Boeing admitted Saturday that it had to correct flaws in the flight simulator software used to train pilots on the 737 Max, following the two deadly crashes that killed a total of 346 people. The aerospace company did not share when or how the flaws were discovered, however.

Loading...

[ SEE ALSO: Cement billionaire Narendra Raval buys out troubled ARM assets ]

Boeing spokesman Peter Pedraza declined to comment on the lawsuit, but noted that the company was “cooperating fully” with investigations into the Ethiopian Airlines crash.

Jonathan, who was a Swedish and Kenyan citizen, has left behind three young children aged 7 to 10. The family’s lawyer Nomaan Husain said that the evidence clearly demonstrates that Boeing acted recklessly and with conscious disregard to the safety of its passengers.

Dozens of families have sued Boeing over the Lion Air crash, and several lawsuits have been lodged over the Ethiopian crash.

Boeing said had completed an update to the 737 MAX’s MCAS software and was in the process of submitting a plan for related pilot training to the FAA. Airlines around the world grounded the 737 MAX after the Ethiopian Airlines crash, the second for the Boeing model in five months.

A Lion Air 737 MAX plunged into the ocean off Indonesia in similar circumstances last October killing all 189 aboard. Dozens of families have sued Boeing over the Lion Air crash, and several lawsuits have been lodged over the Ethiopian crash.

It is unclear when the 737 MAX aircraft will receive FAA approval to return to service. Safety regulators in other countries have said they plan to independently assess Boeing’s fixes before giving their approval.

[ NEXT: Hooked on class – Kenya ranked as the second biggest luxury market in Africa ]

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Mmeona hii? Pastor Kanyari ditches old look for this new fashion (Photos)

Published

on

Loading...
Pastor Kanyari

Controversial man of God pastor Victor Kanyari has been going on with business as usual.

Also read;

The self-proclaimed prophet, who now goes by the name Bishop Mwangi of Salvation Healing Ministry, has changed his wardrobe.

The father of two has ditched his oversized, shinny red suits (prophet’s uniform) for a more sophisticated look.

Also read;

 

Kanyari has now switched to Nigerian attires and has been sharing photos just to let those who don’t attend his church know that he has upgraded.

Check out his latest photos

 

Pastor KanyariPastor KanyariPastor KanyariPastor Kanyari

Loading...

Also read;

Pastor KanyariPastor Kanyari

Pastor KanyariPastor KanyariPastor Kanyari

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Kenyan Youth Will Bury Us in Large Numbers

Published

on

Loading...

The Kenyan youth is one of the most downtrodden in any democratic nation in the world.

Almost six decades since the country gained independence from the colonialist, ukoloni mamboleo remains and the youth bear the brunt of it. Interestingly in politics, most of those who fall in the category above the youth bracket which is 35 years find government jobs easily in Kenya than those who could help move the country forward.

In fact, the president has been on record saying that the Kenya youth cannot be trusted with government jobs because they are corrupt.

See: Kenya, a Country of Very Selective Amnesia

In December 2018, Uhuru Kenyatta defended the decision to appoint former Vice President Moody Awori to the Sports, Culture and Social Development Fund Board, saying he had lost trust in the young generation.

“I saw that I was being criticized yesterday for appointing a 91-year-old to look after the youth’s sports fund…lakini jameni you put yourself in my shoes. Ukiona vile pesa inaibiwa and this is money that we went and passed the other day to support health programmes… halafu useme tupatie kijana, mimi afadhali bana nikae na huyo mzee achunge hiyo pesa na itumike vile inatakikana! Watu wawachane na mimi bana sitaki mambo mingi…” he said.

But we are living in interesting times.

Ali Gire, the gentleman who is more patritic than many holding government jobs today has been demonised and even branded a criminal because he chose to fight ineptness by those mandated to run this country.

Gire became a target after recording and sharing a video of a Chinese plane landing at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) when China was still in the heat of the covid-19 coronavirus.

The Kenya Airways employee was suspended for the recording where 239 China nationals aboard a China Southern Airline were allowed into the country and asked to ‘self-quarantine’.

And now, “It is the responsibility of the youth to secure the nation. God in his wisdom has decided to place the youth at this particular time, so that they can take responsibility of this disease,” said the Health CS Mutahi Kagwe in his April 4, 2020 update.

Read: 10 Things Uhuru Must Accomplish Under 24 Months

It is indeed interesting times that God has just realised there are youth in this country who can be used during the outbreak of the deadly covid-19 coronavirus. What an abuse and twisted view intended to misuse the very population that has been abused for decades.

“There is a generation that fought for independence and did its part, there are those who fought for the economy and the constitution. I appeal to you, it is now your turn as others have done, to protect this country,” added Kagwe.

It is almost laughable that such an inane statement can be coming from a government that has made it its sole mandate to frustrate the youth left right and centre. There are no jobs with most of these young men and women confined to the corners of the economy where they are expedient for the political elite.

Loading...

“If you don’t, you will suffer the most. There will be no jobs and a collapsed economy. It is you who will bury us in large numbers. However, the path ahead is clear, you have to be part of the solution,” the CS added.

Ironically, most of the youths he is imploring do not have passports and if they do, they have not been allowed to use them due to the tough economic times. The passports are just a means to escaping the country that has betrayed them and killed their hopes by stealing their future.

The CS proposes that the youth can organize themselves into groups and assist the security agencies to ensure that people maintain social distance.

As it has been and continues to be, the youth are only good for the menial tasks and not holding public offices. Kagwe is very well in order following the script that has been entrenched in a country that is bursting on the seams with youth who only need an enabling environment to make great things happen.

Also read: Too Late or Just in Time: Government’s Handling of Coronavirus in Kenya

And now to the big issue.

The youth in Kenya did not let in the coronavirus but those who are responsible for it are still enjoying all the trappings of power.

In addition, the youth may not have a grip of the complexities in running a country and so they do not deserve what they have been clamouring for. But when it comes to disasters, these same people who are unacceptable in public office qualify to be in the frontline because they are the expendables.

In Kagwe’s words, the youth will bury these politicians in large numbers.

Covid-19 coronavirus is the equaliser now that all the politicians have scampered and can only follow what is happening from the safety of their homes- albeit at the expense of the taxpayer. Interestingly, they are not falling sick requiring medical attention abroad and if they are, they are doing well keeping this under wraps.

Read >> Hold 4G for Now, Mr President, and Sort Most Urgent Things

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Coronavirus victims to be buried within 24 hrs, CAS says

Published

on

Loading...

The Government has directed that persons who succumb to corona Virus must be buried within 24 hours.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

Health Chief Administrative Secretary Dr. Mercy Mwangangi said the burials will only be attended by close family members.

The CAS said this as she announced that 16 more people have tested positive for the coronavirus in the last 24 hours bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 142.

Dr. Mwangangi says of the number 15 are Kenyan while one is a Nigerian national.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Nine of the new cases were people put on quarantine on arrival from abroad before the Kenyan airspace was closed for international commercial flights.

The CAS said production of masks is ongoing and they will be distributed at county level to curb the spread of the virus.

Loading...

The government however maintains that those on mandatory quarantine must strictly adhere to self-isolation if they want to b discharged early.

Four people have succumbed to coronavirus, among them Captain Daudi Kibati, a Kenya Airways pilot who contracted the virus on the airline’s last flight from New York that evacuated stranded Kenyans two weeks ago.

 

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending